Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Couple of odd questions.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am 

What is the average cost in M.B. for a 1 and 2 bedroom apartment or similar ,in a good neighborhood,close to the beach?Anywhere between Surfside and N.M.B. I know its all relative.

For the locals...what company would you suggest for somebody with 20 yrs experience in Customer Service,that pays decent.Hotels,bars,and restaurants is fine.

Not easy ones,I know lol.Thanks in advance....
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:49 am 

RON :hello: !!!! Always great to see you stopping by...

Whenever I want to explore a topic such as the one your asking about (apts.) I always use Craigslist to get a general idea. You would probably want a certified Realtor (or not) to use when securing the place, but, Craigslist is great for general information. At least it will give you an idea of prices, locations, and pics.

Just search "Craigslist Myrtle Beach" and then apts/housing for rent. I just did it and there are 100's to look through. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:01 pm 

Hi Emmy,
How have you been?
Is there any locations that you can suggest? Somewhat close to the beach and entertainment areas?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm 

Can you give me a bit more info on exactly what your looking for? A retirement home, vacation home, residence ect.? Also, how close to everything do you want to be? Walking, driving, golf carting :wink: ? That will determine which area might suit you better.

Each area of MB has it's own "entertainment" and beach area. Myrtle Beach proper has the Boardwalk, SkyWheel, and tons of restaurant. It's within city limits so it tends to be a bit more expensive and crowded.
The further north you travel the action becomes a little more subdued but just as nice. The beaches become less crowded and the prices lower. You have Windy Hill, Cherry Grove, Little River, Longs...

I am not too familiar with south of MB proper (Surfside etc.) but I am sure someone else can help you there.

Not too sure if your looking to relocate but Patrish has a great link with lots of info http://www.funbeaches.com/demographics.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 pm 

Ill have to check out Patrishes link.

no,driving distance would be fine lol.10 mins maybe.I like the area North of 501 I guess.It would be a residence.A quiet area .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Too bad they didn't have alligator wrestling in MB :cool: , you'd fit right in :boxing: ! I can't believe you're thinking of leaving NY :dontknow:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

I have a list of local job openings here:
http://www.funbeaches.com/jobs.html

apartments for rent:

http://www.zillow.com/myrtle-beach-sc/rent/
http://www.apartments.com/South-Carolina/Myrtle-Beach/
http://www.apartmentlist.com/sc/myrtle-beach

Best of wishes....hope all is well with you!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:17 pm 

Thank You Patrish.Ill take a look at these.

Ron,sadly,after 17 years, my company has merged with another and my job is being eliminated.Im taking it as a sign to move to MB lol. I have a house to sell here so I have work ahead of me.
It wont happen until the end of the year,so you dont know whats going to happen.Maybe Ill sell my house here,take my severance and buy an oceanfront condo.THATS the perfect life.Or maybe Ill open up a Bruce Lee Karate dojo,and have you crush all the wannabes lol.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ron, I'm sure things will turn out for the best!! Seems like a terrible trend lately of companies down sizing or just shutting the doors!! The company I used to work for is closed now, glad I retired when I did. As for Bruce Lee, I'm his cousin Ug Lee :toofless: :ninja: !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm 

:ac41[1]: Ron, you're a hoot!!

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Post subject: Couple of odd questions.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 pm 

Ron check out estately. It actually tells you what the HOA fees are.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 am 

thanks metric,I'll do that. Can anybody tell me names of decent neighborhoods?Id like to stay noth of 501,within a 5-10 min drive to the beach TOPS.Closer the better.
Thanks alot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Ron, are you wanting to rent or to buy? I though you meant rent, but after re-reading you could be wanting to buy an apt?

If rental "close to the beach" you might check along Grissom Pkwy or even Myrtlewood:
http://www.myrtlewoodvillas.com/

But if it is important that you be ONLY 5 TO 10 MINUTES from the beach, that changes the entire picture. You might consider Surfside or Garden City rentals on the beach or just a block or 2 off the beach. Or a rental at Myrtle Beach Resort . Or you could look north for Ocean Blvd. rentals near the beach.

There are a lot of rentals (and sales) that claim they are "not far from the beach" or "minutes from the beach." Take this with a grain of salt. Example: we are 2 miles from the beach as the crow flies, but crows don't have a problem with 17 business and they don't experience slow entry to the beach. Our nearest entry is either Springmaid or Myrle Bach State Park. I still have to deal with traffic lights to get to 17 bus, and then all the traffic so it can take me up to 15 to 20 minutes during tourist season and not much less off-season. So even something 2 miles from the beach may not meet your criteria. Keep this in mind when you search.

See map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/U.S.+ ... b73e04d892

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:52 pm 

Ron, I also am not sure what your looking to do but I will make a suggestion that you can take or leave :)

You are selling your home out near Rochester, but if your going to take the plunge and move here, I would rent for a year, this way you can really get a good feel through all seasons as to where you would like to live.

As Em stated, each area has it own feel and offerings.

Many folks figure if they move here they want to be beachfront, that's great, until you get hit with a special assessment, over and above your already high HOA fees after a storm. I have seen people walk away from beachfront condo's due to these special assessments. Also when you factor in insurance costs, it is not feasible to live oceanfront, heck not even a block or two away. I work too hard to give my money away. (by the way I would never live in an HOA, I'm not that guy, I have an RV, Jetski and boat in my drive and yard with a dune buggy in the garage)

Hospitality industry does not pay much until you have put in years and get promoted to Sales Manager and above in the large properties.

If you have a lot of phone experience to go along with customer service, StarTek
is opening a large call center in the Carolina Forest area, they expect to employ 500 when fully built out.

I would not rent from an agent, you will be paying a premium as they take a percentage of the monthly rent. Many people use Craigslist to find a place.

I live 3 miles up the road from Patrish, so 5 miles off the beach, this keeps my insurance low, taxes low and never worry about evacuating the beach during a hurricane. I go to Garden City Beach, (yes MB is closer,) which is a 15 minute drive, even in season.

A house 2 doors from me just rented, 3 bedroom ranch, 2 bath, attached garage, back deck, $1250 month, the owner who has owned the house since new in 89 used Craigslist to advertise it. It rented on the 2nd day posted.

Oh for planning purpose, my house is similar to the neighbors, but with 600 sq' of layered deck, 18x32 pool, taxes $352 last year, this year will be a little higher as I bought 3.2 acres behind me a few months back.

I hope this helps a little, and feel free to contact me off line or give me a call if you have other questions.

Gary
843 293 8600

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 am 

Gary,
thanks alot.Thats alot to think about. I really appreciate the information.
I want to be close to the beach,but 15 mins away isnt really a big deal,so maybe Ill save a few dollars there.
Thanks again...Ron