Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:18 pm 

We all enjoy Myrtle Beach for a lot of the same reasons, share our thoughts and information to help people get the most out of their vacations. Every place has its downside, so this could get interesting. What was your worst...

Restaurant: I'd have to go with Overtime Sports bar or Hooters. We have not eaten at either of them in about 10 years or more, but I can remember as a kid feeling disgusting after leaving both of them.

Hotel/Condo/Beach House: Back when I was in 5th grade we stayed at the Rain Tree Villas in Cherry Grove. It was a type of building we were not used to and it was all dirty and had bugs etc

Attraction: The Hollywood Cafe maybe? Or perhaps the waterslide that was on the beach a few years ago near Mar Vista Grande (major letdown) haha.

Personal Experience: One year when I was 12 or 13 I got horrible sunburn, was swimming in the pool under water and smashed my lips off the floor, then got an ulcer on my lip. So for the rest of the trip I couldn't eat without agony.

Ride Down: A few years ago when I got highbeamed on for a couple hours, or maybe when I was young and we had a convoy of people coming with us and we had to keep switching cars (the kids that is).

Overall Year of Vacation:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:03 am 

Ate at Benjamins buffett twice about 10 years apart got food poisoning both times will never return there, The first time a tropical depression was coming thru that night and I was trying to put up our awning in high winds while vomiting. That was the worst.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:18 am 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
The first time a tropical depression was coming thru that night and I was trying to put up our awning in high winds while vomiting. That was the worst.

OH MY :shock: !

I am very thankful to say almost all our trips have been uneventful and pleasant...thank God!
There was the one time though we had gotten to the house and the A/C had broken and we were unaware. To say the house was a bit "moldy" was an understatement. We spent the first two days cloroxing every counter, door, and wall. Thankfully it was fixed quickly as I can't imagine MB in July without A/C :ohnoes: ! We now keep a close eye on our electric bill and if seems low we have someone check immediately!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:46 am 

Many years ago, we were struggling but saved enough to take our young girls to the beach. I researched for hours for an affordable hotel. Finally chose a small hotel across the street that looked like it would work for a few days. I believe it was owned by the Polynesian (sp?). After 4 hours in the car of built-up excitement, we find the hotel. Picture it - This hotel was about 3 stories with peeling paint, beer bottles littering the parking lot and a man relieving himself on the side of the hotel in broad daylight. I think my words to my husband were something like "get the girls away from here". We went immediately to the office in the main office and expressed our outrage. Thankfully when I printed our confirmation it printed a picture of the hotel. The front desk girl agreed that we had been mislead and moved our reservation promptly to the main hotel. Bad situation turned better except when we would ask housekeeping for extra towels, she would offer to vacuum. We still laugh about that part.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:50 pm 

SUMMER OF 2000. On vacation with my husband, in 1 car, and my brother and sister in law in another car. Left home on a Friday and stayed overnight in Statesville, NC. Next morning woke up and I just knew something wasnt right with me. Couldnt think clearly. I requested go to the ER. Ended up at Iridell ER, about 7 am.I couldnt tell the doctor the name of a watch, pen, and numerous other items. I knew what they did tho. My mind was a fog. Had a spinal tap etc.........

That wasnt the worst part for me, even tho I was worried. The worst part was I am supposed to meet my son in Myrtle Beach that afternoon and HE HAD NO CELL PHONE. This was the year 2000 I know but some of us still didnt have one. He was grown up, in his 20s and in the Marine Corps and I was so worried about him!

By mid afternoon I sent my brother on his way with his wife to meet my son. We communicated by me calling my mom in PA and telling her to tell my son where I was etc. if he called her. Back and forth.It was a mess. My brother was never in Myrtle Beach and it was storming when he left us at the hospital because I stayed over night with Rich sleeping in a roll away bed in the room.

Once I was in my hospital room I took off the gown and put my shorts and regular clothes back on and slept in them cause I was leaving the next day I said. I was able to leave the next morning. A CT scan was fine, and diagnosis was a TIA or transient ischemic attack a very slight mini stroke.

We left on the Saturday morning and got to the beach ok. My brother met my son but the room we rented at the Waterpointe I was a mess. They had to buy cleaning supplies and clean the room late when they arrived. They did take a video and the agency knocked off 50.00 only.

We were at the beach for 2 weeks, but I still felt like my head was in a fog, and my back ached for about 5 days. Anyways I'm ok, and I guess it could have been worse.

My son used the pay phone alot!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 pm 

Oh, another trip..I think it was 1999. Coming home this time. It was EXTREMELY hot that summer. My sister and her husband in one car and me, my husband and youngest son, who was about 17, in our car. Driving near Charlotte on Highway 74 west. We are a little ahead of my sisters car and I look behind and their car broke down!!! Tons of traffic! I tell Rich pull over , so he goes into a lot.

My husband and son get out of car and go into all that traffic and push their car across lanes of traffic to get it off the road. It was done in no time. I'm visualizing them being killed my these vehicles who dont even stop.

Oh well, when things happen the first thing was get the car off the road. Once the car cooled down it did start again, and we got home with no trouble. :nanner:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:10 pm 

Okay this was 1999, My family, my brother and wife, and my sister and her husband and son. My sister can never plan, and I plan. So all week its what are they going to do all week? Well, its Thursday night and they decide they better do something before going home on Saturday.

They talked about going on the Sea Screamer boat on the ocean all week. Rides were at 10 and 2. I say lets go at 10 it will be yoo hot at 2. No no, they choose 2 oclock.

We all went, it was so so hot :mad: , my boys were complaining, my sister, lets say everyone was complaining. They were selling bottled water and we bought some just to dump over us thats how hot it was.

So to this day when a boat ride is mentioned the story is brought up about me going on the Sea Screamer, and forcing everyone to go. What memories. It wasnt too bad,except they cram the boat with way too many people and it went so slow there was no breeze even.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 am 

July 1993. My husband passed away down there while we were on vacation due to eating raw oysters at a not to be named restaurant. Since then I have remarried and have kids, we take them to MB yearly and honor my previous husband by flying his kite that he always flew when we went there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 am 
Site Admin

bhbc1, how devastating this must have been for you. I just can't imagine what you had to go through, and I'm so sorry to hear about it, The kite is a wonderful yearly tribute.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:49 am 

bhbc1, I can't imagine the loss you suffered in 1993. I think a tragedy like that, for me, would ruin that destination for life. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you were able to move on from it and find a way to honor him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:59 am 

Oh how tragic bhbc1...that is just so sad. I think it is so wonderful to keep your husband's memory alive by flying the kite. What a touching memorial to him!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 am 

Thanks all, yes at one point I never wanted to go back there, but it was a place we loved, and I had to go back just to put that horrible time behind me, my kids know what happened and when they where little they all ways wanted "to fly his kite", 20 years later my girls still want to fly it. Just as reminder PLEASE don't eat any raw shellfish in the months of June, July or August, I wish I would have known that back then!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:19 pm 

What a sad experience. Having someone close to you die is always a tragic situation but to have it happen away from home would make it that much more difficult. What a loving tribute to fly his kite.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

I was sitting here contemplating the few inconveniences we've experienced over the years, but after hearing that bhbc1 lost a loved one, anything I could come up with would seem so insignificant :???: .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:32 pm 

Nice to hear they still want to honour him by flying his kite :hello:

My worst in MB was at the Sea Dip. Guy on front desk overnight told me I'd have to use his plunger to unplug the toilet in the room. He wouldn't come up and do it. :BandHead:

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album