Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Packing list?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 pm 

Is it crazy that I'm using a packing list? I don't like being unprepared, but we're packing 2 adults and 3 kids in a Toyota 4Runner, so we don't want to over-pack. My husband said "Bathing suits, clothes, sunscreen, underwear, and diapers. That's all we need."

That is NOT all we need, and I have 3 weeks to pack it all up. Or trim the fat from the list. I think I'm going to start today by organizing my makeup bag to fit all of our toiletries.

Do you pack with a list? Or no?

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

Post subject: Re: Packing list?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:21 pm 

I always use a list and now that we have an 18 month old I couldn't imagine not using my list. Last year we had to pack for my husband and I and an 8 month old! Being a first time mom I wanted to take the whole nursery with us.....and had to pack it in a Toyota Prius! I made my list weeks in advance and began packing and consolidating ahead of time too! After we played "Tetris" in the trunk we were all packed and ready to go with my list fully check off. This year we are packing a little lighter...but are taking a bigger vehicle anyway.
It's part of the excitement for me. The beginning of my list making means vacation is getting close!

2002 - The Atlantica
2003 - The Bar Harbor
2004 - The Meridian
2005 - The Atlantica
2007 - Beach House with Friends
2008 - The Yachtsman
2010 - The Camelot
2011 - The Camelot
2012 - The Camelot
2013 - The Camelot
2014 - Booked The Camelot again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 pm 

We do not use a list and i tell my wife and kids to pack light because they allways by stuff (clothes) and we end coming back with more than when we left! :BandHead:

Post subject: Packing list?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:42 pm 

Heck yes I use a list. I make my packing list weeks in advance and check it often to see if there's anything else I need to add. I'm not a mom either. I just hate spending time and money on vacation running to stores getting things I forgot because I didn't prepare well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:02 pm 

Oh yes! My mom and I are big list users! I even use a list if I'm going only for the weekend.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:14 pm 

I too am a BIG list person... always have been!! It's 2 months till we leave and I'm already making a list...

Today is my mother-in-laws surprise 80th bday party (yesterday was her bday and we all got together like nothing was going on ) any way I've had two list going for that and marked off those and narrowed down to what is finished... One more thing to prepare and then I can get ready .. OH after granddaughters nails LOL.. So excited to have this over today because I've stressed over everything!! Now I'll be able to focus on the beach list more!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:52 pm 

I have had a list on the computer for years. It has changed as the kids have grown up.
I print it out every year and make adjustments as needed.
If I think of something to add when we are at the beach, I write it in and then update the computer when I get back.

I might be borderline OCD, but dern it, I have a thorough list!

And I carry it in my special vacation binder...
:oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:44 pm 

We not only pack with a list, the wife just made a list of which rooms would get cleaned on what day leading up to our trip in eight days. We never leave a dirty house before vacation. Just makes it easier to come back home to.

I already have my list made out on when to clean the vehicle and mow the yard. Checked off put new wipers on today and changed the oil last week. Planning is part of the fun. I can't wait to get into the one week out range. That's when the real fun begins. :bounce:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:18 pm 

I could NOT do it without a list when I place the item in my bag I highlight it off, so I don't second guess myself wondering if I packed it lol!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:59 pm 

I have 3 lists going . 1 for stuff I need to buy here. 1 for stuff I need to pack. and 1 for stuff I need to buy at the grocery store down there. and I to must clean my house from top to botton before I leave. I guess I do it so the dog and cat and petsitter (My Step-Dad) can mess it up while we're gone. 5 more sleeps to we leave. :sunny:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:07 am 

OMG, my husband does the cleaning thing!!!! If we're all trying to get out the door to a baseball game, family dinner, ANYTHING, he is sweeping, washing dishes, mopping floors up, cutting grass until the second we leave. We are doing a scenic train ride in Ohio tomorrow, and I knew he wouldn't be able to leave unless the grass was mowed, and his mowing takes forever for such a little yard. He trims, blows, fertilizes, weeds, edges, etc in addition to mowing. So I mowed today for him while he was at work in the hopes of him NOT wanting to mow before we leave tomorrow.

Anyway, back to the lists... :) I'm glad I'm not alone!!!!!

Should we share our lists?????? It might make my OCD go into hyperdrive!!!!!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:18 am 

I make general lists. After I had my our two boys, someone told me an idea that has made my packing soooo much easier. For the little ones, pack entire outfits in large ziploc bags. I mean everything, shirt, shorts, socks, diaper, everything you need for one complete outfit in each bag. That way, all I had to do was grab a ziploc bag and I didn't have to worry about finding matching sets or where the underwear was, etc. Each kid had their own small suitcase or duffle bag full of ziploc bags!! I even packed one ziploc full of sleepers, one with extra shirts, etc. It made it so much easier. I still do it to this day and my kids are 6 and 7.
Melissa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:09 pm 

OMG so many new ideas from you all to organize my list!! MBKY .. I too clean certain rooms before we leave to have a clean house to come home to.. We also wash up all out clothes before we leave to come home so I don't have piles of laundry!! Not much work has to be done to the car since it's new and on 2900 miles on it lol..

Bday party was a success last night .. And as exhausted as I was I slept great and I'm in vacation mode as of today it's 2 months !!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:32 pm 

I gave up on the house cleaning when we leave for extended periods. Kristi's grandma house/dog sits for us and the place gets trashed with a few hours anyway. She's a slob and borderline unreliable. I think the dogs sit her more than the reciprocal.

We generally don't use a list. If we forgot something, it's purchasable. As long as we have money, we're golden. I don't even bother with a spare car/truck key anymore. We generally just lock the keys in the vehicle on purpose so we don't lose them (keypad entry is awesome!)

Boogie Board and beer. What else does anyone NEED?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:46 pm 

OK .. I just made a list to reorganize my list LOL ..