Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Checking in
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:03 am 

Hi! I rented a room directly from the owner on Homeaway. When I go to check in when we arrive, is there anything specific I need to say? I've never used this method before. I usually go through the hotels themselves. Sorry if this is a stupid question-just don't like feeling like I don't know what I'm doing! :)

Post subject: Re: Checking in
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi, Kelly! No, that's not s stupid question at all. Did you get photos of this rental unit from the owner? Does the owner belong to an association that would allow his/her guests to use any extra facilities such as a pool or workout room? Is the owner easy to reach if you have questions after your rental period begins?

I'm sure others on this board will have more suggestions. Welcome to our message board!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:17 pm 

Kelly, the best bet is to ask the person you are renting from as to what you will need to do upon arrival. This will depend on the particular resort. We have rented from an owner for the last 5 years (also via Homeaway) and we never stop at the front desk. The owner gives us a numeric code to enter the unit, and a parking pass and wrist bands for the swimming pool are in the unit. For all practical purposes we are considered the "owner" during our stay. Only once did we have to communicate with the owner during our visit, and she promptly returned the call.

I think its good to communicate with the owner by phone. Ask some questions and see how the owner responds. Just by talking to someone on the phone you can get a good idea as to what type of landlord you will have.

Hope you have a great trip.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 am 

Most of the resorts do not even know your name if your rented direct from an owner, they have no knowledge of you checking in.

When a guest who rents direct wants me to drop off something for them, I have the guest call the check-in office and ask if it is ok, most say yes.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:53 pm 

We have rented thru Homeaway from 2 different owners....2 different resorts. First time the owner gave us numeric code for entering unit. Inside were parking passes/garage cards and bracelets needed for amenities at resort.
Second time, different resort, we were provided numeric code for unit, but asked to stop at check in desk for parking passes and amenity bracelets. I guess it depends on owner/resort maybe?

Brenda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:49 pm 

Kelly, not a dumb question at all!! We have rented through VRBO (like Homeaway) several times. Each time, the owner gave us the numeric code for the door about a week before we left. We didn't have to go to the desk at all. We always call the owner once we arrive and let them know we got in ok and that everything is in order, or what needs to be done. (room hadn't been cleaned one year). Your owner should be able to give you all of the details! Have fun and enjoy your trip!!
Melissa

Post subject: Checking in
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:59 am 

Thanks to everyone. I got in touch with the owner, and she just said to check in at the front desk. I didn't realize each situation was different. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk