Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:09 pm 

I grew up going to Seaside Heights, New Jersy every summer with my family. I have many fond memories. Then my husband and I took our kids to Myrtle Beach one year... with the exceptions of one year at Virginia Beach and one year at Cocoa Beach...we have been back to Myrtle and Surfside yearly. The New Jersey beach water was colder...we were cold even in Va Beach(and it was July)..so the warm water of Mrytle keeps us coming back. It is such and easy trip from SE Ohio...even if it is long...we know where we are going and what we are doing. No other beach will work for us at this point!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:01 pm 

Our first trip to MB was in 1987 when we were living in Indiana. We did not go back every year, as there were other places we wanted to see, but we did make several return trips.

Now we live in Phoenix. The Los Angeles beaches are about a 4 1/2 hr. drive....Huntington Beach (Surf City USA), Newport Beach, etc. The San Diego beaches are a 5 hr. drive. Yet, now when we go on a beach vacation, we choose to fly 2000+ miles clear across the country so we can be in Myrtle Beach. Why? I suppose there are a multitude of answers to that question. We've been to the above-mentioned beaches, and we've been on the beaches on Maui. We think Myrtle Beach has the best beach of all of those places. We'd rather be there than anywhere else. We are comfortable there, having been there so often that we know where things are and how to get there, so familiarity is part of it. We like the atmosphere, the people, the restaurants, the resorts. We like everything about Myrtle Beach....except the humidity!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:21 am 

I live right on a major highway which leads to the Maryland/Delaware beaches of Ocean City, Rehoboth, etc. I frequent a gas station/sub shop about a mile down the highway which has a lot of beach-goers and you get the good-vibe of people heading on vacation.

One time I overheard 2 girls talking...."yeah, but remember that time in Myrtle Beach... that was so much fun !". Just had to smile......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:27 pm 

I love MB for the same reasons as everyone else! Great weather, temps are nice in September, prices are much cheaper than local beaches, the people are so sweet down south. My first trip to MB was when I was a kid. Once my mom saw it, we kept going, and I've continued as an adult and now we go on big family trips! Ocean City/Rehoboth Beach are 4 hours from here, but are SO expensive. Ocean City is kind of dump. It's just a big drunken party town and to me personally, it's not really a family place. Don't get me wrong, we do go for the weekend to get our beach fix, but i'd never be able to afford to vacation there for a week (nor would I want too). In OC, the beach is not nearly as nice, and the water is never as warm.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:04 pm 

it was 1999 joanie and I ask are two boy wear the would like to go on vac. they said the beach.So I did aweb search and myrtle beach come up .The next thing were in front of the old lands inn for the three nights stay .then add two more days .And been come every year .Now with there wifes and kids .just turn in to agreat time to be together.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:20 am 

I either go to North Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head.because I am in SC. So it's only a 3.5 hour drive.

I like both places for different reasons. They are both fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:09 am 

Back in 2004, a buddy from work and I were thinking of where to go for a guys weekend getaway in October. We couldn't come up with anything and Barb suggested Myrtle Beach. To this day we still can't figure why she picked that as she had never been there herself. Both being bus drivers, driving was no problem as we each drive 8 hours a day anyways. So I ordered the info package from MB and we picked one of the cheapest hotels. SeaDip. We left Friday morning , very early, and arrived around 10pm. Spent Saturday and Sunday and drove home Monday. It was a great Weekend. It became our yearly get away. Guys weekend away.

I brought Barb down in September 2008 and switched over to the Compass cove. She had a fantastic time, even with Tropical Storm Hanna. We've been coming every year since in either September or October. We came 1 year with both boys (teenagers), 1 year with just 1 and another year with just the other. This year we're going for a full 2 weeks. This will be the longest stay ever for us.

So, why Myrtle Beach? Warm, sun, beach, shopping, good food, Southern Hospitality? Take your pick. I think it's all of the above. Constantly meeting really great people who are now friends. I was last year we finally reached out and met Patrish. Had a great time and enjoyed her company. Looking forward to meeting up again this year with her and anybody else who's in town.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 am 

Back in 1982 my father was looking for a small piece of property and home in the south for my mom and he to retire to. He stumbled upon a little town called Buck Creek, SC. Fell in love with this little area and found a simple home on a two lane road in the middle of tobacco farms and livestock. My mother's only stipulation was she wanted to be within 15 minutes driving distance of the ocean when they bought. My father's criteria was that he could garden and have fruit/nut trees. The little house fit everyone! Myrtle Beach was NOTHING like now. Much slower and fewer all around places to shop and eat. They both fell in love with everything the location offered. Being a young girl of 17 I spent the summers and vacations in our little house and flourished. I was NEVER meant to live in the cold :wink: .

Fast forward 30 something years and the little house is in Longs, SC ; Buck Creek being renamed. The little 2 lane road is now a major 4 lane thoroughfare known as Highway 9. The pecan and fruit trees still bear their fruits and the flowers still bloom all these years later. My parents never did relocate full time there before my father passed in 2001 but we all had many years together enjoying that little house. Paul and I now own it and though we keep looking for a bigger property we just can't bare to part with it. As Paul always says "It's a small house but a happy home!" We love MB for the sun, the warmth of the people, the laid back lifestyle, the amazing beauty of it's beaches and ocean, and the heart tugging precious memories it provides!

We pray we can make it our permanent residence one day soon!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:16 pm 

That's a lovely story sun n fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:01 am 

How is the rest of Longs? My parents recently put our house up for sale and are looking..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:15 am 

budwash435 wrote:
How is the rest of Longs? My parents recently put our house up for sale and are looking..

All of Longs is beautiful! Most of it like where we are is rural. Even though we are on a main road it is still VERY country and laid back. See my trip reports for pics of our property. There are gated communities as well as what we have (house and land.) We are exactly 8 miles from the Cherry Grove beach area and some areas of Longs are even closer. Houses are very reasonable and taxes are beyond amazing! We want to be outside city limits for zoning reasons so this area for us is perfection. Most of our neighbors are locals and have lived in the area forever. Much different feel from the touristy areas for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:33 pm 

I'll have to do some more research. We don't want to live direclty in the MB area either, and the office I'd be able to transfer to is in Conway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:15 am 

Driving to work this morning I realized another reason why I enjoy going to Myrtle Beach. I know it's been said before, but the ride down! It is totally a part of the vacation, driving different roads, seeing other landscapes, stopping random places for gas or food, in my case watching the sun come up 6 hours into my trip. With every hour down you get closer. When I first started driving myself down I was worried that I couldn't make it for whatever reason, but now it is a breeze. It goes by faster and faster every year, and I don't feel like death when its all over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 am 

budwash435 wrote:
Driving to work this morning I realized another reason why I enjoy going to Myrtle Beach. I know it's been said before, but the ride down!

Its all part of the vacation experience.

I swear that one of these days I'm going to detour to MB when going over to Gatlinburg. We live about 2.5 hours from Pigeon Forge and the route over there is pretty much what we take when heading to MB. All I would have to do is take a left on I40 and head east toward Asheville instead of west towards Knoxville. I've told the wife numerous times at that point that we should just keep driving and go over for a couple of nights. What a weekend that would be to unexpectedly end up at the beach. May be one of those bucket list things that happens some day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:58 am 

Indeed it is.

You should totally do that sometime, I love random trips.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next