Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 pm 

loving all the stories about chosing MB...I grew up going to the Jersey Shore each summer...we stayed in Ortley Beach...spent a lot of time in Seaside Heights...which took a blow with the last hurricane...As kids we loved it...now as an adult...I prefer MB/ Surfside...warmer water...more choices of accommodations...so much to do! If I remember correctly we had to wear badges or something to be on the beach in Ortley Beach...glad we do not have to worry about this down south...another beach we visited was after my first year of teaching...a group of us flew to Hawaii for a month...we flew "excursion class" conditions of which we had to stay at least 30 days in Hawaii...this was not hard to do...One of our friends brothers lived near Honolulu...we stayed with him one night and then he was able to to help us rent and apartment/condo for a month...right across from Waikiki beach...needless to say we had a GREAT time...we were all young 20 somethings...it was an awesome beach...fun town...lots of Navy guys...LOL

still love MB/Surfside best...mmm...a lot older now...probably many of the things we did in Hawaii...would not be as much fun now...and plane fares are much higher!
We have been to Cocoa Beach, too...my kids said it was nice but it was an old folks beach...not enough excitement...Terry and I liked it...but MB/Surfside is an easier drive...much more to keep us busy...and there is something to be said about being familiar with an area...we do not have to stress about what roads to take...or where we want to go!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:13 pm 

ohiojo wrote:
loving all the stories about chosing MB...I grew up going to the Jersey Shore each summer...we stayed in Ortley Beach...spent a lot of time in Seaside Heights...which took a blow with the last hurricane...As kids we loved it...now as an adult...I prefer MB/ Surfside...warmer water...more choices of accommodations...so much to do! If I remember correctly we had to wear badges or something to be on the beach in Ortley Beach...

Bryan grew up going to Ortley Beach every summer in the late 80's - the 90's. His parens rented a condo for the week and he and his friends would walk the boardwalk in Seaside heights. Even before SH got wiped out by Sandy it was not a good place to be the past 10 or so years. Really creepy and dangerous. We like Ocean Grove now. ;)

MB beats the Jersey shore hands down though, which is why we drive 12 hours to go vs 1 hour to the Jersey Shore. :lol:

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm 

Happiness.

It was yesterday morning, pulling into the parking lot (work), looking at the clear blue sky and thinking about a MB day, I realized, MB is where I am most happy. While I stick with my 1st answer, what draws me consistently to MB is the beach, there also exists an emotional connection that keeps me a loyal and faithful visitor.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 am 

I totally agree.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:16 pm 

Wow! I did not realize that area had become deteriorated...sad...when our family went it was the late 60's early 70's...then the parents started going the Sarasota, FL area...and I had started my teaching career and was on my own...I have fond memories of the area...we kids walked everywhere, as well...maybe that is why I have always loved Surfside...mostly very safe feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 pm 

Yeah, unfortunately Seaside Heights has become a little sleezy. It's so sad!

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:02 am 

People ask me that all the time - why don't you try something else? We probably will one day, but I know for sure, we will always still come back to MB. why fix what isn't broken? MB has such a friendly atmosphere, you can slow down on your vacation by going a short distance to pawleys island yet speed it up by going to Broadway at the beach at night. MB provides daycations within your vacation. So many great place are in driving distance. MB provides great memories and bring those nostalgic feelings back from your first trip, almost feels like you never left. Let's also not forget the good food and great beaches!

I do think there are a million other place to go, and you would have a fun time no doubt, but MB is our second home. It's like being a little homesick when you are away from there; it pulls on your heartstrings. It MAKES SENSE to us MBMB family members!

I can smell the salt in the air right now :)

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:34 pm 

Ash,

You may have said it best alot of daycations on your vacation. Love it! There is so much to do in MB that it would literally take months to do it all. I also have an emotional draw to MB and someday dream of living there. If that doesn't happen you can pretty much bet it will always be my home away from home. I understand it is not for everyone, but when some of my friends tell me that MB just wasn't for them and I begin asking them where they stayed and what they did. It doesn't take long to realize they didn't do their homework. If you are searching for something particular I can't imagine not being able to find it in MB, unless it would be blue green waters and powder white sand. Other than that Myrtle Beach is just about perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

I get such a kick of enjoyment from Ash and her loyalty to MB. She is just such a sweetheart and so mature for her years.

Here I was with my girlfriends last month, on the American Queen Upper Mississippi, having fun as only really old friends can. Ash made some suggestions on where to go and what to see when we were in Minneapolis for 2 days. Then she called me, and when I told her we were planning to go to one of the restaurants she had recommended, she offered to join us there for dinner. While her husband babysat, we enjoyed her company at dinner. All of us immediately fell in love with this lovely young lady.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:44 pm 

hahaha Who would have thought my first "MBMB meet-up" would actually take place in MN?? :lol: I told Patrish I will do a meet-up in MB next time we get to go :sunny:

It's a beautiful sunny day in the Twin Cities, a bit chilly, but pretty out. The colors of fall have faded, so winter is on its way... watching planes take off on a sunny day like today reminds me of taking off for MB. Time to dream again until next time. :sunny:

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014