Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, why Myrtle Beach?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:58 pm 

I'm too sure if this topic has ever been posted before, so I'm going to go for it. Why do you choose Myrtle Beach for you vacations year after year? I live in NEPA and a lot of the people I grew up with grew up going to OCMD, Wildwood NJ, Cape May, Rehoboth Beach, and The Outer Banks. While working my many years in retail I came across many people traveling from the upper states and Canada wintering in Florida.

For my family and I, MB has been a tradition started by my grandfather and we have been going for years. I had been to a number of other beaches and to me it just doesn't feel the same. A lot of family and friends though we were nuts for driving close to 12 hours just to go to the beach, when you can go to OCMD for half the time. I can honestly say, over the years of us going our family brought with us 10+ people who have never been there. So what brings you back, and keeps you from not going to other beaches over the US?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:49 pm 

Growing up my family mostly went to beaches north of us...Wildwood NJ and Ocean City MD. The furthest south we vacationed was Virginia Beach. While I enjoyed them all I have not been back since my husband introduced me to Myrtle Beach! My parents had never been and they love it now too! Much further for us to drive...but well worth it!
What we love about Myrtle....the warm water! The beaches up north are so cold compared to Myrtle...always warm yet refreshing. The beaches are clean. And after a long day on the beach there is so much left to do in Myrtle. From dining options, to shopping, miniature golf, and endless entertainment...we've never done it all! We love trying new restaurants although we have a long list of our favorites we have to stop at each year. Last year was our first year with our son. He was 8 months old and loved it as much as we did! We can't wait to introduce him to more fun as he gets older. We've booked our vacation in Myrtle yet again this year and will continue the tradition of Myrtle Beach vacations as our family grows.
In addition to the beach, food, and entertainment we simply love the area...it's beautiful and the people are so friendly. I would and have recommended Myrtle Beach to everyone! There's so much to see and do an any age.

2002 - The Atlantica
2003 - The Bar Harbor
2004 - The Meridian
2005 - The Atlantica
2006 - The Meridian
2007 - Beach House with Friends
2008 - The Yachtsman
2010 - The Camelot
2011 - The Camelot
2012 - The Camelot
2013 - The Camelot
2014 - The Camelot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm 

I have only skipped the annual MB trip maybe 8 years in my entire life. I know we have been down 14 out of the last 15 years. Many reasons on why we choose to continue to vacation in MB. I guess if I had to pick one it is just the variety of options that you have there. Besides the beach, you can shop, golf, people watch, eat, mini golf, water parks, etc.... No matter what your interests are, MB will have something for you. Dining options are all there regardless of the budget or type of food you want. You can be a low spender or high spender and it's all there. Some people like to lay around and rest on vacation, and others like myself like to be entertained. MB can take care of both of those unlike some other coastal destinations that don't give you as many entertainment options.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 pm 

I came to MB the first time in 79 with my husbands family and we were married a few months later... We came down for several years after .. skipped a few years and went to Daytona Beach for a week and Panama Beach the next week and didn't care for it at all... MB the next couple of years and then missed a few .. but we always end up back at MB .. to us it has it all

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm 

I think main reason we always return to same spot is the fact we're so familiar with the area plus the drive down and back. Last thing I want on vacation is any worry. I don't want to drive around wondering where I'm at, deciding what there is to do and then getting lost trying to get there.
I'm as comfortable in NMB as I am at home. Hospital, mechanic, cold beer and sandwich.....What ever need pops up I don't have to waste time guessing and choosing where to go.

That's our current dilemma. Need to book something using our Wyndham points through RCI. Nothing on Grand Strand during month of Sept except Plantation Resort. Yeah nice place. But. It's not oceanfront.
Exploring options right now. A non beach trip isn't out of question but so far we've found fault in most destinations. Next possibility is another beach. Be honest with ya......Surfside is sounding better all the time.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:40 pm 

We do occasionally go somewhere else, but we keep going back to Myrtle Beach because we love it. There is a lot to see and do. Like others have said, it is so nice to already know our way around!

It is fun to see how things change from year to year. This year I am looking forward to the wax museum. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:48 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
I think main reason we always return to same spot is the fact we're so familiar with the area plus the drive down and back. Last thing I want on vacation is any worry. I don't want to drive around wondering where I'm at, deciding what there is to do and then getting lost trying to get there.
I'm as comfortable in NMB as I am at home. Hospital, mechanic, cold beer and sandwich.....What ever need pops up I don't have to waste time guessing and choosing where to go.

That's our current dilemma. Need to book something using our Wyndham points through RCI. Nothing on Grand Strand during month of Sept except Plantation Resort. Yeah nice place. But. It's not oceanfront.
Exploring options right now. A non beach trip isn't out of question but so far we've found fault in most destinations. Next possibility is another beach. Be honest with ya......Surfside is sounding better all the time.....

We stay at the Plantation Resort when we come down. Our first thought, when we started staying there was that we would hate not being on the beach. Once we got there we figured out that it wasn't that big of a deal. Yes, oceanfront is better, but it still is on the Grand Strand and everything is accessible. They have regular beach shuttles from the resort, and Surfside has some nice public access areas that have wash off points and restrooms if you want to drive your own vehicle. Pool and lazy river is nice at the resort. Off the beach is better than no beach.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

>.....Why do you choose Myrtle Beach for you vacations year after year?

Wally and I used to ask ourselves that question. Then one year we said "Let's just move there." And we did. OK, it wasn't quite that easy, and we gave up some things to make the move, but we made it work. And neither of us have regretted one single day of living here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:42 pm 

I to grow up going to wildwood N.J (6hr. drive). In 96 we started going to Myrtle Beach (12hr. drive). And have never looked back. The things we like most about Myrtle Beach are the shops and all the restaurants. also in Myrtle Beach when you walk outside from your condo the shoreline is right there. when you go to Wildwood from the boardwalk or your hotel it;s a long walk to the shoreline. we do miss the boardwalk in Wildwood .(there's just something about it best pizza for one). We've always said if you could take the boardwalk from Wildwood and the beach from Myrtle Beach you would have the absolute best vacation spot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:30 am 

Creatures of habit - that's us! We started coming to MB in 2003. Friends of ours had a condo at Myrtle Beach Resort and for probably 2 years, "nagged" us to use it. We kept resisting because the 12 hour drive down and back seemed a bit much :dontknow: Since 2003, we have been down every year, sometimes twice a year. We started down south and have slowly "migrated" to North Myrtle Beach. 11 years later, we are still making the trip. I will have to say that in addition to vacationing in paradise, we always look forward to meeting up with our message board "family" when we are there.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:21 pm 

We started going to Myrtle Beach because my son was stationed at Cherry Point, NC with the USMC aviation unit , which has the Harrier Jets.

Rather than have my son drive home, if he didnt have many leave days, or fly home which was extremely expensive , he suggested and we agreed to go to Myrtle Beach for a week while he got some leave.

So 1998 in June was our first trip. We , along with our youngest son, drove to Cherry Point NC, near Havelock, and stayed overnight one night on the military base. We had a room and my younger son stayed with his brother in his housing area. The next day it was to Myrlte Beach for the week.

To this day my son says if he wasnt stationed there we still would not have made the trip to the beach and that is probably true. We usually just vacationed near home, 2 or 3 day mini trips when the kids were young. Then there were times of unemployment so we didnt take weekly vacations.

We do what we have to do, and the only way I believe to get some time together was to do what we did.

So, I had no idea where to stay, I looked thru a travel guide and picked the Ocean Forest Plaza near the 53rd Avenue of Myrtle Beach I think. A quiet area and I was pleased, and so we returned every year, and God willing Ill be back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:06 am 

For southern West Virginians, there is no other beach. Our first family trip was in 1968 (so I'm told... I was only 2), and our family spent every summer vacation at Myrtle Beach. I married a northerner, and their beach was Ocean City, Maryland. Once I took her to Myrtle Beach, she's refused to go anywhere else. Thus, I've never been to Ocean City. Good Lord willing, Misti and I'll be there permanently in about 10 years.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:56 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
We did things a bit differently...
In 2007, my husband was planning his retirement, and we were both thinking about moving somewhere on the East Coast, close to the beach if possible. Since I was working from home, we could move just about anywhere.
One day, he came home from work and told me about friends who just came back from Myrtle Beach and had enjoyed it.
We had never been to Myrtle Beach, so I started researching it and subscribed to this board to get as much information as I could.
We had our first one week trip October 2007, and both fell in love with it. I told Ed, "I want to live here" and he agreed. We came to spend another week at Christmas of 2007 and planned our move for the upcoming spring.
The rest is history.
Best choice of life we ever did together. :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 pm 

We live at the beach in Ontario, Canada on the shores of Lake Huron. We both love nothing more than to spend the day by the water. For years my friend kept telling me that we needed to go to Myrtle Beach that she knew we would just love it. Well finally, we came for a visit 11 years ago and have been back every year since. Even though we come in the winter, it is a wonderful spot. We have our beach in the summer and Myrtle Beach and the ocean in the winter. Living the dream.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

This has been a great topic! I've really enjoyed reading all the responses!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall