Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:48 pm 

Pretty much what others have written....The drive down....The smells, sounds and feel of the breeze.....

Think the two biggies that stand out as special. The first meal at Basil's and the first walk through Boulineau's. Most places and people we deal with during the week are seasonal. Employees there for the summer. Next summer. Somebody new.
These two places we see same people every trip year after year. Really truly feels like we just got home......

pssst.....Something nobody has mentioned...........Seeing Patrish and Wally.......

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:36 am 

I am new to the forum and just love these types of posts. I have many favorite parts of the trip. I love seeing the first glimpse of the ocean between the hotels. It has turned into a contest to see who can spot it first. A close second has to be the first walk out on to the balcony after the long 8 hour drive. Ahhh....the beach!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:35 pm 

kbell wrote:
. I love seeing the first glimpse of the ocean between the hotels. It has turned into a contest to see who can spot it first. :

Had those same contests when I was a kid. Never gets old.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:30 pm 
Forum Support

luvmb wrote:
I wish there was a like button here lol

so do i. I am going to see if I can install one.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:22 pm 

I agree with so many of these.Another one is opening the condo door,walking straight through the condo to the balcony door,opening it,and stepping out to see the ocean,the pols and all the people already having fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:06 pm 

The most exciting part for me is Friday, the day before we leave to GO BACK HOME so I can go back to work!!

Believe me? NO WAY. Usually on that Friday I start to get grouchy knowing vacation is ending and reality is about to set in.

I think the best part is what was already posted. Opening the door to our room, and the first thing I do is go to the balcony and look out over the ocean and sit down for a while with a drink.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:36 pm 

We really do need a like button! Are those real plungers?? :shock: I agree with so many of these. The smell of the air, you roll down the window and inhale that sea air. And spotting the water sparkling as the sun shines on it. But I have to say, whenever we take someone new, friend, kids friend, etc to the beach and it's their first time. The look of awe on their face when the see the beach. Love it!

:cool: Life is Better at the Beach

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:08 am 

Yes those are real plungers bought new at Wal Mart not used lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:21 am 

I haven't been on the board in a while but this thread is what I love about this message board. This is what I needed tonight. Lorraine and I are coming back to Myrtle Beach this year in September and I can't wait. My favorite part of vacation is everything that has been mentioned here. My most favorite thing is just sitting on the beach with Lorraine and watching. Watching the waves come in, the people walking by and God's creation in all it's Glory.

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove
2014-Breakers Resort

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:04 pm 

I've only missed one summer at the beach since 1969 (I had my first real job out of college in 1983 and my family went, but I couldn't get away). As a kid, my sister and I always looked down the streets off Hwy 17 to see who could get the first glimpse of the ocean (that was before there were high-rise condos everywhere). Now, my own kids-even as college students-get a kick out of seeing who can see the first airplane advertisement banner. That's when we know we're almost there!

But one of my favorite parts-there are so many-is going down to the beach before it gets really hot and just soaking in the sun and the sand and the sounds. Then there's the late afternoon-sweltering-blue water rolling in-smell of coconut suntan lotion-lazy summer afternoon. That sun is so bad for you, but it just feels so good!

Then there's Calabash. Fried shrimp, hush puppies.....

Then there's the 45 (I can't believe it) years of memories. People.....

This beach-such a big part of my life-I love it.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 am 

We have had a house in Surfside Beach since last year, but for the 17 years before that we stayed at St Clements in Myrtle Beach. My favorite part was making the turn off Route 22 onto 17 Business south and seeing all the stores and restaurants in front of me and knowing we were finally there. Next was passing the "Myrtle Beach" sign. And last but not least was the first view of the ocean.

My favorite part of our June vacation this year will be bringing my 9 month old grandson down to the beach to see the ocean for the first time. It will also be our last "vacation" as we will be moving into our home in Surfside Beach two weeks later and becoming "locals" (unless there is a waiting period before you call yourself that) on the 29th of June. Sort of a permanent vacation I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:11 am 

Great posts everyone! Im sitting at my desk at work listening to Jimmy Buffet day dreaming about vacation, lol! Only 33 days to go!

I hope its warmer there than here in MD....33* this morning!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:57 am 

I dont even know where to start! The drive down is always full of excitement seeing all the signs and advertisements for peaches and souvenir shops. Stopping at the same McDonald's every year for a potty break. My hubby works third shift so I always drive the first half or more so he can sleep. We leave as soon as he gets off work so there is no one on the road and I love the quite calm and listening to the boys snore! Lol! When we get closer and traffic picks up I wake up hubby and let him drive because I dont do beach traffic! I love seeing the ocean for the first time. We always stop before check-in and run out to the beach! We say its just to put our feet in but we end up with soaking wet pants. We also love the first meal in Myrtle Beach! Last year I showed my son and his father how to catch sand bugs ( not sure what they are really called) and they spent hours catching and releasing them that was for sure one of my favorite parts. There are so many I am sure I will think of more!

Bay View-2008
Laquinta Inn 48th-2013
Mariners Cove-2014

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:32 pm 

sweetlynn10 wrote:
I dont even know where to start! The drive down is always full of excitement seeing all the signs and advertisements for peaches and souvenir shops. Stopping at the same McDonald's every year for a potty break. My hubby works third shift so I always drive the first half or more so he can sleep. We leave as soon as he gets off work so there is no one on the road and I love the quite calm and listening to the boys snore! Lol! When we get closer and traffic picks up I wake up hubby and let him drive because I dont do beach traffic!

I thought I was the only one that enjoyed the drive down so much. Getting an early start out on the road and driving with very little traffic on the road makes it peaceful. Just the preparation for the MB trip is a big part of my trip. From getting the oil changed, to washing and waxing the car preparing for the trip down is just part of it. It's the only time of the year that I really don't mind things like mowing the yard or getting the house spotless in order to leave out (am I the only one that does this?). Pulling out of the drive to MB is one of my highlights of the year. Nothing like pointing the car in that Southeast direction and heading out to the beach.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:26 am 

Vacation could not begin until we crossed the bridge over the ICW coming in to NMB. My brother and I had to see who could hold their breath all the way across the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk