Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:43 pm 

We'll be getting ready to make our 5th annual trip to Myrtle Beach this June and it got me to thinking about my favorite part of the trip.

My wife and I have 2 daughters, aged 3 and 6. Our trip begins at 3AM in western MD and takes us through Washington DC, Richmond, Smithfield NC, and on to MB. My favorite part is the trip down. The kids are asleep in the back seat and we are so excited to get there. Usually a stop in Fredericksburg for breakfast and then my favorite stop at the Smithfield Chicken and BBQ in Smithfield for lunch :) The the final haul into MB.

I guess the anticipation and excitement for the kids makes the ride down so great. I think it's my favorite part :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:36 pm 

I have to agree getting there is lots of fun. I think my morning walks on the beach are my favorite part. They have become a very relaxing and refreshing time for me. Also, spending lots of time with family.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 pm 

This may not come as a surprise to many of you, but I'll lay it out there anyway. The first morning of waking up at the beach. Yeah, I mean about 6 AM, brewing the coffee and meandering my way to the balcony to watch the sunrise. That part is certainly magical no doubt. But the absolute best part of my vacation is at about 7 AM, polishing off the first beer of the day and sending a picture message of the empty beer can/bottle to my coworkers. THAT is the greatest part of MY vacation.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:50 pm 

Everything about the first day there is my favorite part. From pulling out of the driveway at home to the first evening meal at the beach, is great for me. I enjoy even the little things like changing to a new interstate :roll: .Pulling into BATB to have lunch and walk around a few times while waiting on the room is a lot of fun. Pretty much anything on opening day (besides walmart), is fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:47 am 

The drive down and the arrival. Getting the wife and kids into the hotel while I unload the car. That first trip to the store to load up for the week. We are stopping half way this year again and I enjoy that time while I have no stress that night. We hit the bed early so we can get up the next morning and get going before everyone else. Also, the trip down 501 when you know you are getting close. So many "favorite" parts.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 am 

This summer is our first family trip to the beach. All of our previous vacations have been to the mountains.

I love doing things on my own schedule. I love researching places to go, visit, and eat. I love finding coupons for meals and passing my savings along to the servers as a bonus to their normal tip. I love getting up early, packing a lunch and hitting the hiking trails before everyone else. Nothing like a morning waterfall hike and not seeing a single soul on our way to the waterfall, spending 30 minutes there with the waterfall all to ourselves, searching for salamanders. Then hiking back to the car and passing TONS of people who will NOT have the waterfall to themselves. :) Eating lunch alongside a mountain creek. I love hunting for the PERFECT Christmas ornament souvenir to symbolize our trip that year.

I think most of these will transfer over to the beach quite well.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:39 am 

We love just getting there! Forget the drive down. Love, love, love sitting on our balcony and watching the ocean!!! Of course eating out in restaurants ( both old favorites and new ones) is part
Of why we come to MB. We are in our 70's so we have no kids to entertain. Love that ocean, and all that good food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 am 

My favorite part of vacation? Not having to work for a week :wav:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:30 pm 

I have numerous favorites:
- The morning coffee on the deck followed by and early walk on the beach.
- Trying a new golf course with my kids.
- Eating at some of my favorite seafood places.
- Just hanging out all afternoon on the beach.

OK I'm ready to get started. July 12th can't get here fast enough.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 pm 

The first day on the sand putting up the umbrella setting out the chairs putting up the brew plungers and relaxing. This is a brew plunger

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:20 pm 

I love the brew plunger. Hopefully those are designated for that purpose only :beerchug: The more of these comments I read, the more things I see that should be included in my favorite parts. Like Mr. Green stated, getting on that stretch of 501 means that the journey down is almost complete. I thought I was the only one that even enjoyed unloading the luggage out of the car to take into the room. It kind of signifies that it's really here and all the money saving and planning has finally paid off.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:12 am 

So many wonderful parts that it is very hard to pick one favorite. If I have to pick only one, I think it would have to be the actual arrival. The moment when you first catch a glimpse of the sparkling ocean, feel and smell the difference in the air, and you know that you are THERE.

It's only been five days since we left MB and I'm already daydreaming of our next trip :hello:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm 

so hard to pick one... But there's something about spotting the shoreline with all the high rises from the plane before we land - knowing WE ARE HERE! I always love my sunrises too - so calm, peaceful and bautiful :cool: I don't know what it is, but there is also something about walking at Broadway at the Beach for the first time too. I think it reminds me of our honeymoon.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:27 pm 

AC06162007 wrote:
so hard to pick one... But there's something about spotting the shoreline with all the high rises from the plane before we land - knowing WE ARE HERE! I always love my sunrises too - so calm, peaceful and bautiful :cool: I don't know what it is, but there is also something about walking at Broadway at the Beach for the first time too. I think it reminds me of our honeymoon.

Seeing the ocean for the first time each year (whether by plane or car) never gets old. I remember when I was younger and we would bring friends along on our MB trips. That was always that first high five moment when we could finally sneak a peak at the water between two of the hotels. I still get excited today when I'm making that same drive toward the boulevard and the ocean first comes into view.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm 

I wish there was a like button here lol... I'm excited when bringing the luggage downstairs to pack into the car. Actual pulling out at 4 am.. the whole drive... The smell of the ocean and the breeze and last year arriving in Sept for the first time and no traffic... and the best part pulling up in front of peaches and parking with no waiting as we first arrived... We had time to kill and went in to eat and afterward took pictures ... It had been years since we had eaten there...