Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 am 

I looked to see if anything has been posted before and saw nothing on this subject.

I know some folks do gravestone etchings and here is a list of Historic Cemeteries in the County http://www.hchsonline.org/cemetery/

I looked this up as the 3+ acres behind my house, which I recently bought,
includes the Stalvey Family Cemetery. I have some pictures posted on my Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/gary2beach

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 am 

Very interesting.... since the cemetery is on your property yet is a historical site, are there any type of usage restrictions ? (does the family of the interred have any access permissions) Just curious if this complicated the purchase process.

Here in Annapolis, MD if you buy a property deemed "historic", you are treated more as a caretaker than an owner... Just about all work has to be approved by the Historic Annapolis Foundation which has very strict rules on modifications (both internal and external).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:09 pm 

There are over 500 Historic Cemeteries in the County and most are on privately owned land.

This land was a part of the Silver Creek development which went under a few years back and there was a portion of the property that did not foreclose and that 3 acres just happened to be adjacent to my property, as of now the land is landlocked except access from my property or my 2 neighbors to my left looking at my house. The Bank of NC (which is trying to sell it) and the County owns the rest of the adjoining land. But who ever buys the Silver Creek land will have to allow for for an easement and access by people to the cemetery.

The cemetery is only 30'+ x 70' out of the 3+ acres.

The 3+ acres had been designated as a Sanctuary for the development as it does have some wetland and running water which goes out to the Waterway.

There are no "restrictions" except of course the cemetery can not be disturbed or built upon, and I will allow folks to visit the cemetery as well as let the Boy Scouts continue to clean the area every few years as they have been doing since I moved into this house 18 years ago.

It is hard to get there now from Silver Creek as the woods are overgrown but I intend to make a trail for folks to visit in the future.

Gary