Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm 

Ok, here's some advice, or simply just some traveling information for you to consider:

1. Even thought they say that check-in is at 3:00, sometimes your room is available much earlier. It never hurts to ask. I have checked in as early as 6am and had my room ready for me. If it is not ready, they will let you go ahead and park at their facility, and you can usually change clothes and hit the beach or pool area. They will then usually call you on your cell when the room is ready. Just something to consider!

We will often look at the weather report before we leave. If it looks like our day of arrival in MB will be warm and sunny, we head out with intentions of getting there in the morning, to enjoy the whole day. If it is going to be cloudy, or rainy, we take our time. That is important to us, when we go for spring break, like we will this week. With you going in the summer, it might not be as big a deal for you.

2. If you want to drive straight through, here are two thoughts:

- you could leave early in the morning, like daybreak, and be in MB for dinner. It's gonna be a good 13 - 15 hour trip for you, depending on your stops.

- driving through the night though, there is WAY LESS TRAFFIC, and there are no police out usually, you can FLY down the road. Not that I ever have....I've just heard that is true. :icon_smile: If you left around sunset (summer sunset - like 9pm), your son could sleep most of the way, you two could take turns driving, and you could be there for lunch the next day.

3. If you want to stay overnight, my preference has always been to get past Richmond, Virginia. That puts you just past half way, so you have most of the trip behind you, and it's always good to be on the other side of a city like that when you start off in the morning. Now-a-days, most every exit on I-95 has a chain hotel. The exit right after where I-295 meets back up with I-95 has a number of them (just after Petersburg). If you can make it to Emporia, VA or Roanoke Rapids, NC, even better.

4. This brings us to a discussion about which way to go, from Rochester to Myrtle Beach. Most likely your are going to come down 390 to route 15 in Corning. Make sure you wave when you go by Bath! The big discussion we have often is which way to go when you get to Harrisburg, PA. Google maps will tell you one way, and your GPS might tell you the same, or another. But this discussion is not about mileage. It's about traffic. Everything depends on what time you hit Harrisburg. If you get to Harrisburg pretty much anytime during the daytime, especially between the hours of 2pm -10pm - do NOT take the shortest route - which will be around Washington, DC, unless you enjoy bumper to bumper traffic at 80 miles an hour, only to be interrupted by hour long delays sitting on the highway as if you were in a parking lot. The only time to go that shortest route, is if you hit Harrisburg late in the evening, say between 10pm and 5am.

The alternative to this route, is to take I-81 to I-66 just before Strasburg, VA. Then take route 17 at Middleburg, past Warrenton to Fredericksburg. This is not as hard as you might think it looks on a map. 4 lane roads the whole way, through beautiful horse country.

If you really want to have a pleasant, less crowded ride, stay on 81 to Staunton, and take I-64 over to Richmond. It's longer, but pretty through the Shenandoah valley, and much calmer.

I have done all 3 ways to Myrtle Beach. As I said, it is all about the timing.

Well, there you go. Feel free to ask tons of questions, I should have answers for you!

By the way, you might want to check out this website about I-95 - it is loaded with information!

http://i95exitguide.com/

Good luck!

Rick

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:14 am 

Also...if you do decide to drive through the night, there are a couple of nice rest areas on I-95, that would be in the area of where you might need one, late at night. These are nice enough for you to pull in to, and get a quick cat nap for a bit of time. They are large, and safe enough, as many others are doing the same. One is a few miles after Fredericksburg. But be warned, there isn't another one in Virginia. The next one, and this is my favorite, is right at the Virginia/NC border. It's about a mile into NC. Very nice rest area. I have napped there many times. There actually is another nice one about an hour into NC.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 am 

Rick,
Thank you for all the information. Have a fun and safe trip!

Donna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:00 am 

If at all possible I would try to arrive at least by noon. I try to plan on eating lunch at the beach and maybe walk around Broadway at the Beach a couple of times while waiting to check in. Might even consider taking in a movie during that time (good time to sleep if you have driven all night). Tens of thousands of people are trying to time their beach arrival to coincide with check-in, so you know what that means for traffic coming in during that time frame. My philosophy on driving to and from prime time MB beach vacations is to arrive early and leave early. I want no part of the traffic gridlock coming into or leaving the beach. I've had no problem with travel day beach traffic when I arrive before or at noon. You will also deal with the same problems leaving the beach. Anything after 8 a.m. is going to put you into some heavy traffic. I don't know all the details on the routes you will take to the beach, but assume that you will be able to bypass 501 which should help you out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:42 am 

MBKY wrote:
If at all possible I would try to arrive at least by noon. I try to plan on eating lunch at the beach and maybe walk around Broadway at the Beach a couple of times while waiting to check in. Might even consider taking in a movie during that time (good time to sleep if you have driven all night). Tens of thousands of people are trying to time their beach arrival to coincide with check-in, so you know what that means for traffic coming in during that time frame. My philosophy on driving to and from prime time MB beach vacations is to arrive early and leave early. I want no part of the traffic gridlock coming into or leaving the beach. I've had no problem with travel day beach traffic when I arrive before or at noon. You will also deal with the same problems leaving the beach. Anything after 8 a.m. is going to put you into some heavy traffic. I don't know all the details on the routes you will take to the beach, but assume that you will be able to bypass 501 which should help you out.

Excellent point. I usually arrive in the morning, and just hang out at whichever hotel we are staying at, if it's nice weather that is.

The traffic point is for real. Especially if you arrive on Thursday-Saturday, or leave Friday-Sunday.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn