Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:50 pm 

My family will be vacationing in the Garden City Beach area this summer. This will be our first time. I have found there are many things to do in and near the area. Any family favorites you can recommend would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading through the posts and have really enjoyed the positive and friendly people.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:35 pm 

Without knowing ages of your family these are just ideas.....

Garden City Pier will be in your backyard....more or less. Few years back they had band on the pier every evening. After dark the bottom of pier would be lit up. Could walk out the pier and see ocean floor with all the fish, rays and sharks........

Few miles to the south will be Murrell's Inlet. Best known for dining. Many choices. Ask six people you'll get six suggestions. Marsh Walk is walkway behind the restaurants and out into the marsh. Nice way to kill time before or after meal.

Few more miles south will be Brookgreen Gardens. Ticket price is good for all week so can make two trips if too much for kids.

Across the road from Brookgreen is Huntington Beach State Park. Small fee to enter but another good way to kill time. Good opportunity to get up close to gators in natural habitat.( Yes it's safe)(I think)......Another marsh walk nature area.

Another couple miles south you'll find Hammock Shops for shopping. Small low country cottages scattered around under the pine trees. Little different from the usual strip mall style shopping complex.

To the north of Garden City. Oceanfront in downtown Myrtle Beach. You'll have Boardwalk area. Sky Wheel, slingshot and assorted other attractions. Family Kingdom is oceanfront amusement park. Good for an evening just to say you did it. Big thing is to be careful with parking. MB has figured out parking is great way to raise money......

North of Boardwalk area and inland between Business and By-pass 17 is Broadway At The Beach. Very large shopping, dining, amusement complex. Wonderworks, Magiquest, Build A Bear for kids...

Soooo much more but for your first trip that should keep you busy.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:49 pm 

Thank you for all the ideas. My family consists of my husband, myself and our 14 year old son.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:05 pm 

14 years old. One that old....Guess Build A bear is out.......

If into outdoor activities.......Kayak tour .....Black River Tours. http://www.blackriveroutdoors.com/

Short beginner tours at Huntington State Park or longer tours of rivers and creeks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well done, Alan! :notworthy:

Be sure to take in the Boardwalk and downtown area. The Boardwalk is free to walk. The Skywheel is cool and I'm sure your son will find plenty of things to do in the area.
http://myrtlebeachdowntown.com/

OK...I just have to post this so you know who answered your question!

Alan (Pop2748) and Ruann at the Skywheel in 2011.
http://funbeaches.com/June_2011/alan_ruann.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:41 pm 

Wow. Think that was the phone that didn't know how to swim............

Ruann's shoes. Bought those at Surfside beach shop couple years before that pic was taken. Think it was the day we went to Brookgreen and that seems like forever......She still has them and wears them almost everyday. Even researched and bought couple new ones different colors but wears those. Bottoms wore out. Hurts her feet if we walk too far.......Will not throw those away.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am 

After reading all your replys makes me wish it was July!!

Are we better off driving our car to each attraction or is there a bus that we could conveniently take back and forth?

Also, does anyone recommend the tour bus from Myrtle beach to Charleston for the day trip? Looks like it includes carriage ride, boat tour, shopping and stopping at a plantation on the way back.

We are driving from upstate NY, we are not sure if we should drive straight through or rest in between. Does anyone know of a safe place to stop and rest if we decide to do so?

Sorry for all the questions! Just think it is only March, I still have several months of questions to ask...lol
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 am 

http://www.tv33mb.com/?page_id=16
http://www.myrtlebeachscrestaurants.com/
Some links to play with while you wait for July.

No convenient bus service for beach visitors. Driving is no problem. Area easy to navigate even without GPS. Not a bad idea to study maps before trip to get an idea of the layout. Biggest problem for first timers is learning difference of Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. Two separate cities. Same street numbering system. Looking for address you need to ask if it's NMB or MB.
July is busiest month of year. Traffic will be heavy. South of Garden City shouldn't be any problem. North into town will be slow. Leave early if you have a reservation. Just be patient and keep reminding yourself. It's vacation........
Get an idea places you want to see while there. Members on the board might be able to help with shortcut tips to get around gridlock spots.

Charleston isn't a bad drive from Garden City. You're already at south end of Strand so that saves you several minutes of drive time compared to leaving from MB or NMB. Average cost of Charleston attractions will be $20-$24 per head on your own. Might compare costs of driving vs bus trip. Could tour at your own pace vs tour schedule. Might stop along RT 17 to buy a basket. Your son would love the Yorktown.

Emmy and Ron would be best sources of info for traveling from Upstate NY.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:00 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
14 years old. One that old....Guess Build A bear is out.......

If into outdoor activities.......Kayak tour .....Black River Tours. http://www.blackriveroutdoors.com/

Short beginner tours at Huntington State Park or longer tours of rivers and creeks.

Kayak tour is one thing I wanted to do while down there and didn't. I was planning on buying some kayaks here at home to get out with the kids in the summer but got into bicycling instead. I'm definitely planning a kayak tour next time I'm in Myrtle. I'll have to subscribe to this so I remember the link.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:00 pm 

Go ahead, fall right in familygirl, we'll catch ya'!

Where to start? Let's see, where in upstate NY? I will be driving down from Bath a week from tonight! Because my 16 year old can help with the driving, he wants us to pull the all-nighter drive. We have done both - driving all night, and stopping along the way in a hotel. Depending on how far upstate you are, I will have some suggestions for you on that.

As far as fun for a teen boy, I have two of them (16 and 14), so, here are my recommendations. As suggested above, the Boardwalk area will be good for one evening. A walk around both Barefoot Landing (North Myrtle Beach) and especially Broadway at the Beach (Myrtle Beach) in the evenings, is always easy entertainment. At BATB, the Wonderworks attraction is fun for younger teens, as well as the Aquarium at the other end. If you are going to eat out, our boys love going to Yamato's Japanese restaurant at BATB - the show put on by the chef's are very entertaining if your son has never seen a Japanese hibachi meal prepared. And the food is tasty. It's basic American steak, shrimp, scallops, etc, cooked over a hot stove with rice and veggies.....and very good. Another fun restaurant at BATB is Senior Frogs.

A fun, after meal thing to do as a family is miniature golf, and you will quickly find out that there are a ton of them to choose from - look for coupons. In fact, now that I think of it, it will be hard for you not to get a coupon book, and they will list all of the fun things for your son to enjoy.

Our sons love The Hammock Shops (listed above). Seems odd that they would, but it really is a nice change of scenery for shopping - very "southern"!

But, above all, learn to enjoy the beach. Look around and find your own favorite "local" Garden City places. These will become your best memories, and your favorite traditions!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:16 pm 

Sounds like many good ideas! Bath, ny...there is a campground we will be trying out there, hickory hill.

We live in Rochester, NY. Still on the fence about driving through straight or stopping. Pulling an all nighter is an option too, since 2 of us will be taking turns driving.

I am very excited to create our family memories there. :ac15[1]:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 pm 

I should have asked one other important question - what time would you anticipate leaving Rochester, makes a big difference on my recommendations.

Hickory Hill is a fantastic campsite. It's literally just two miles up the same road I live on. It has a national reputation. You'll enjoy it a lot!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:10 pm 

To answer your question about what time we are planning on leaving Rochester, check in is at 3 pm to 6 pm. We were really hoping to get there as close to the check in time as possible. So any recommendations would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 pm 

I swear I will have answers for you, but now I need to ask two more questions, then I promise, I will attempt to help you out! (Just trying to get as much background info as I can!)

1. When you say check-in, are you talking a hotel? You said something about being campers, so I am checking to see if you are camping, or getting a house, or staying in a hotel...it makes a difference to my answer.

2. Will someone be working on the day you leave - in other words, do you have to wait for a certain time before you can leave on the day of departure, or will everyone have the day off?

Rick

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:56 pm 

We are staying in a condo, so driving without the camper. Check in is between 3 and 6, but if we get there late we go down the road to pick up the condo keys at any time after.

We can leave at any time.....We do not have to wait for anyone.