Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:27 am 

OK folks, NMB is official, MB and the County will follow, Surfside is not taking action as of now.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... Newsletter

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Gary. There will be a lot of discussion both pro and con about this issue. I think it will help from a safety point of view. Sometimes the beach gets so crowded there's no way an ambulance or any other vehicle could get to someone in need of help. On the other hand, umbrellas have been the perfect answer for babies and others who want to avoid the sun.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:05 am 

Your right Patrish, it's is going to cause a lot of debate and my feelings are, tents/large canopies are not to be used on the beach, they were made for festivals and events, then expanded to backyard use and then started to show up on beaches here around 6 years ago.

They showed up at other beaches, where people who have more money than the average visitor here, (remember EZ Ups were the only game in town and a 10 x 10 sold for around $225, that's what I paid in 1999) today you can buy 10 x 10 canopies for $79 so it is not a big expense, which is what lead to the proliferation of these on the beach.

The 1st beach ban that I am aware of was 2009.

I do think those making the ordinance are making a mistake by not allowing little beach shelters, the ones that stand a few feet tall and also act as a wind break, these do not take up a lot of space nor interfere with the overall view of the area.

It is going to interesting and the ban will expand to the other areas, yet it is not a big deal, people have been coming to the beach all their life without use of tents and canopies until just recently.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 am 

I am not a big fan of the ruling. Especially in the Cherry Grove area in August, the tents are not a huge problem. I could certainly understand banning them in the busy month of July, but there are no "safety" issues that I have ever seen in Cherry Grove. Seems to me a whole beach may be punished for a few select areas that are heavily congested with them. Kinda like winter here in North Carolina. I have seen plenty of times where some snow and ice have fallen in one part of the county but the other parts of the county are just fine. Well guess what? Because the school in that part of the county cannot have school, they cancel for the rest as well, even though the roads are perfectly clear. Does this mean I am going to stop visiting North Myrtle? Heck NO!!!! But I do think there could be a better resolution. Just my 2 cents. I love North Myrtle and no ruling will ever change that!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 am 

I have used an umbrella for 35 years never a problem even with 2 children .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:12 pm 

I'm on board with the decision and hope myrtle beach follows suit. These things are a nuisance not to mention the safety hazard. Why people think they need to hog a 12'x12' area of sand is beyond my comprehension. I view it as rude and selfish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm 

I for one am thrilled (just my humble opinion :wink: ) about this decision. The tents take up so much room and people tend to get a bit squished during the summer months! I have always used an umbrella or two and they work wonderfully. Just make sure your umbrella has a SPF or you can get burned right through it. It will also make it easier to walk the beach or look for someone you may have misplaced :tongue3: !!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:16 pm 

I guess I will be the first poster that is upset about it.

First, We come the first weekend after labor day. We have used a tent for a couple years because our entire family comes. It's 6 adults and a 3 year old. We've never seen more than a few tents on the beach the week we were there, and have never seen an issue with them. I understand that they are probably bad in the summer, but I haven't seen it, and can't vouch for it. I'd be more happy if it cut off at Labor day, rather than the 15th.

Renting the umbrellas for a family of 7 (soon to be 8) would be out of the question as only 2 people barely fit under them. Now, if they changed the price to be more afforable, that would be nice.

We love the beach and everything that comes with it, but we don't enjoy burning up in the sun and constatly moving around with the shade. It just works very nice for us, and i'm not knocking ANYONE who doens't agree! It's just what works best for our family.

My mom has told me that if it passes in MB, she may start vacationing somewhere else. Sadly, They pay for our room and we enjoy going as a family, so where she goes I go. I'm a little sad about it, and I know some of you think it's crazy, but it is what it is. I'm sure lots of other folks are going to feel the same way.

Not trying to aruge (I feel like i'm going to be attacked)...

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

Last edited by ScarletBegonias on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:21 pm 

No attack but a question if you use a tent do you bring it with you? If you do could you not bring an umbrella or 2 we used to haul ours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:23 pm 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
No attack but a question if you use a tent do you bring it with you?

Bring it with us? as in in our car ? yes.

One of us brings it in our vehicle from home.

We hardly ever leave it unattended. It's just hard for me to fathom the problems, because we go off season. The problem is my newphew will be in school next year, and going off season will not be an option.

Last edited by ScarletBegonias on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 pm 

it's not about space.. we could all bring umbrellas.. yes.. but we come as a family(and like to be together on the beach).. how are they going to feel if we put up at least 4 umbrellas right next to eachother? it seems like in the end, people are still going to clump them together and it'll still be a safety thing. :shock:

Last edited by ScarletBegonias on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:42 pm 

Scarlet I think Beachcomber was asking if you bring the tent with you from home, not your vacation place, then you could bring umbrellas.

Most people who have used tents/canopies take them down each night, the few that leave them up are those who rent a house and feel it is their beach to do what they please.

6 umbrellas would not be clumped together, as you would spread them out amongst your chairs, thus making the blind spot smaller than a tent, remember tents are also much higher than an umbrella.

Should your mom decide to go to another beach, of which there are not many that offer all that is available here, but if it is a popular beach with a number of activities, then check to see what the use of tents is there.

This ban is not isolated to the Myrtle Beach area.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:18 pm 
Forum Support

My 2 cents:

Quote:
Most people who have used tents/canopies take them down each night, the few that leave them up are those who rent a house and feel it is their beach to do what they please.

Why is the city even allowing this? You leave it up, it should be taken by the patrol.

This tent ban should be from Memorial Day - Labor Day.

A tent/canopy to the beach is the same as sporting events. People just lack consideration and it ruins it for all. You always have the people who claim their spot early morning and you never see them all day. They stake the area to be as big as their tent, so its easy for people to trip or decapitate their head. Then you have those who insist on putting their tent up right in front of your chairs. Seriously? If everyone could have just made a nice row of tents and have a nice walkway here and there, this could have all been avoided.

Too bad Myrtle Beach doesn't have wider beaches like Fla. Super cool to have your vehicle on the beach and a tent/canopy if you want. But like Gary says you won't find a place like MB with the amenities and Fla isn't even close!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm 

Yes Gary that is what I was asking. I have 2 umbrellas just like the lifeguard ones but a different color and when I take the poles apart they take up less room than a tent I am sure and when we put them up we space them just like the lifeguard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:31 pm 

ScarletBegonias,

No one is going to attack because if they do we will rough them up :smash[1]:

My two cents....I am always in MB during one of the busiest weeks of the year. The tents do not really bother me, but I do have to say that there are more and more each year and I can see how they can be a hazard on the beach. I think safety should be top priority and I am certain that if anyone in our families were in need of medical attention we would be ticked if a bunch of tents were a hinderance in them getting life saving care.

The last two years my future daughter in law has put up an umbrella that is provided with our condo. I have really been surprised how much shade they provide. I know at one point last year we had three chairs under one umbrella. With that being said an umbrella may not be ideal, but it will protect from the sun.