Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:52 am 

Surfside Beach is considering raising parking meter fees and restricting parking on side streets between Third Avenue North and Third Avenue South.
I "discovered" the beach at Huntington Beach State Park last year (beautiful beach, you should try it), no reason to change that this year I guess. Garden City beaches are another option for me. It is a shame because I am only a mile from being on the beach in Surfside Beach. They actually lose money because I do all my shopping elsewhere.
These council members MUST be transplants from New Jersey !

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... ising.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:03 pm 

Just add that to everything else that keeps getting higher. The only thing not going up is my pay. May just drive on down to Garden City and park just for the heck of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for bringing this up, Bruce. Many people wonder about the officials who run the city. I remember last year when Surfside added meters along Waccamaw Dr. It looked like they were sitting in peoples' front yards. I'm sorry, but I thought that just looked tacky.

So drive a couple miles south to Garden City Beach. You can park free at the Garden City Pier, walk the pier for free and go to the beach free.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 pm 

I found it kind of odd that some of the grass areas in front of the condos had parking meters on them. It's not like the city did any type of maintenance to the area to provide parking for people. I could kind of see why they might put them in spots where beach ramps, restroom facilities, and blacktop parking spots are located. At least they had to put out an investment to put them there and it is actually nice to have a place like that for people not staying directly on the beach. It is worth the $30 a week I spend there to use those facilities, but to pay to park in a grassy area on the side of the road is a little ridiculous. I would expect to see a no parking sign in these areas before I would see a parking meter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 pm 

From WMBF News

Prepare to pay more to park in Surfside Beach

by Jenna DeAngelis
Posted: Mar 5 2014

SURFSIDE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Surfside Beach Town Council members have made it official, parking meter fees have gone up.

They say you'll see the same amount of meters, they'll just cost more money, and those changes are in effect right now. Parking meter fees have increased from $1.00 to $1.25 an hour.

Parking meters will be strictly enforced from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Town council considered pushing back the pay to park time, two hours, but that did not pass.

The big change this season, is the price you pay, with the goal to generate more revenue for the town. According to Surfside Beach Mayor Doug Samples, last summer season, beginning in July, meters generated around $80,000. He says 30-percent of this money was put towards the Pier Enterprise Fund and the other 70-percent went into general town funds.

If you don't see a meter, don't assume it's safe to park, look around for street signs and read the fine print, there will be spots limited to permit only parking. The signs will appear on roads between Ocean Boulevard and Dogwood Drive, as well on much of Dogwood as well.

Council members want to enforce parking to address public safety issues. Too many cars close to stop signs and along roads make it hard for drivers to see pedestrians on busy summer days. Permit parking will regulate this because each driver who lives in the town is entitled to a parking permit to park anywhere, non-resident property owners are limited to one parking sticker. Mayor Samples says it is possible for them to inquire for another permit for an extra fee.

According to Surfside town officials, parking permit regulations will be in full swing May 15.

For details on parking regulations: http://www.surfsidebeach.org/parking.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Bruce, as a resident and tax paying citizen in Surfside Beach, do you get a sticker for free parking like we do living in Myrtle Beach? If not, why not?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 am 

While my mailing address is Surfside Beach, I am not in the actual city of Surfside Beach and do not pay taxes there. I am up in Surfside Beach Club. It is 1.2 miles straight down the road to the beach so it is the closest.
I like that beach, If they offered an annual parking pass at a reasonable price I would consider it. We go to the beach say 5 days a week so it would cost me about $40 a week, $800 for the season. For $79 I can get a yearly State Park pass and go to Huntington Beach State park and Myrtle Beach State Park. Or I can go to Garden City Beach for free.
So I do my shopping and dining elsewhere and they lose out on that. Many of my neighbors feel the same way.
Ps- I really like the Garden City Pier, stop there in the morning after my walk and have coffee. The people that work there are very friendly. Sometimes there are more people meeting there to have coffee and talk than there are fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:44 am 

Bruce, a buddy of mine is at the Pier most mornings having coffee, Danny and he always wears a smile and usually rides his bike there.

Folks as for thinking about driving to Garden City to avoid paying for parking, I'll tell you now, parking is not easy during the summer, especially on weekends and cars get towed quite regularly.

The parking lot diagonally across from the Pier and next to Sam's Corner is $8 a day for parking.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:08 am 

Bruce, how far is the Hunington state park from Surfside beach club? I just bought a home there in November and will be moving there permanently in June. I'm a little disappointed to find out we don't qualify for the parking permit and I also just found out about the Glenn's Bay project starting soon. Also, I thought I saw a park for dogs near the beach...is the parking there also metered? Thanks for any info.
Rosie

:cool: Life is Better at the Beach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:30 am 
Site Admin

There is a dog park next to the Surfside Library. You have to have a license for your dog to use it. See information on link below:

http://www.surfsidebeach.org/barkpark.html

There is a free dog park in Seagate Village on Mallard Lake Dr. (across from the entrance to Myrtle Beach State Park) consisting of several acres.

I don't know whether or not it is free to park in Surfside if you own property there. (I thought maybe Bruce knew.) We live in the city of MB, and we are issued a parking sticker for our cars upon paying city taxes that allows us to park in the Pavilion Garage or any metered spot within the city limits. I was just wondering if that was true in North MB, Garden City, or Surfside.

Huntington State Park is about 8 - 10 miles South of you. It is across Bus. 17 from Brookgreen Gardens. If you purchase a state park pass, it will be good for any SC State Park. For us it is well worth the cost since we live near The Market Common and MB State Park is the nearest entrance to the beach for us.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 am 

Hi Rosie, Huntington Beach State park is just about 10 miles from Surfside Beach Club and well worth the short ride as it is a beautiful beach and park. I bought the yearly pass for $79 which I also use for Myrtle Beach State Park (about 5 miles from us) which also has a very nice beach, although I wouldn't go there on weekends during the summer as you can sit in line waiting to get in for a long long time (Huntington is good anytime).

People who own homes in Surfside Beach (I believe it consists of the homes east of 17 Business and businesses on both sides of it) receive a Parking Permit since they pay taxes there, the rest of us need to use the meters. Garden City Beach is a good place to go and parking is free, we were able to get a spot every time we went there last year.

We bought our home in Surfside Beach Club last July and will be moving down permanently this July ... can't wait! We have been loading up our car with as much as we can pack into it and making occasional trips down for a few months now. We lucked out this trip as we have spent the last 3 days at the beach (Huntington). Temperatures last 3 days have been 77, 76 and 81 !!! I did find out the hard way however that you do need suntan lotion even though it is only April.

See you there in July! Hope you have an easy move !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:21 am 

Patrish- thanks for the info on the dog parks. Good to know, I would have showed up without the needed permit. Bruce- thanks for all that great info. I was able to go down in January for 3 weeks and did some things at the house..paint, furnish, etc. but the weather from Ohio followed me there, it even snowed a dusting! So I'm happy you are enjoying the beach!! I can't wait, do you get the surfside beach club newsletter? If not let me know and I'll give you email link for that, they do lots of activities. See you in July, happy travels!

:cool: Life is Better at the Beach