Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 pm 

Question for the locals:
When I am down here I walk from Garden City Pier to Surfside Beach Pier and back. I have noticed that at high tide a large section of Garden City Beach just before ... I think it is Calhoun Drive (where they have the most public parking) has the ocean going up and slightly under the hotel and the front yards of some of the condos, enough so that I have to walk out to the street to get around it.
I was wondering if there were any plans for beach replenishment in the area or if there is any plan at all.
This seems to be the only section that bad, but I see other sections that are slowly getting to the same point.
Hopefully this post will not be deleted.

bruce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Beach renourishment happens - or is supposed to happen - every 10 years. We were here for two...1997 and 2007. Funds have to be provided and I think that comes from Congress, then there have to be matching funds. With the current political atmosphere, who knows what will happen.

What I DO know is that there are a lot of pissed tourists when they discover just how bad their beach looks. Here are my photos from the 2007 event at Surfside Beach.

http://www.funbeaches.com/Beach-Renourishment.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:46 pm 

Thanks Patrish! Didn't realize it was only back in 2007, seems longer than that. We were on vacation at St. Clements that year and had to move up a block to use the beach because, as luck would have it, they were doing the beach in front of the hotel while we were there. You are right, we found some terrific shells that year. We still have them packed away somewhere.

If there are still 3 or 4 years before they think about replenishment the people across the street may be waterfront by then. Thanks for reposting the pictures. I must be getting old, i needed the pictures to spark my memory of what it all looked like.