Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a golf cart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:21 pm 

We will be down the first weekend in October and will be looking for a golf cart to buy. Want something nice but dont wanna get raped. If y'all locals know of any please let me know. THanks in advance. Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

We bought ours from Marc Lorsin at Graham Golf Cars. 3900 S. Kings Dr. (not far from MB State Park)
http://www.grahamgolfcars.com

We ALMOST bought it at Best Golf Cars, but Graham tossed in a few extras, and they are closer to our house.
http://www.bestgolfcarsmyrtlebeach.com/

I learned a lot about golf cars when we were looking. There must be somewhere you can buy NEW golf cars, but the ones around here are all reconditioned.

They buy them used from the golf courses, then strip them down, put in new batteries, etc. and they end up looking like new. You can choose "low" or "high" cars...view them on Graham's website. Long or short tops, accessories such as longer rear-view mirror, a thingy at the back to tote beach chairs, a safety device that goes over the steering wheel to prevent theft, different size wheels and how fancy you want those wheels to look. You have lots of choices since they are rebuilt practically from scratch. Many are "custom built" with colors of your choosing. You also need to know when the cart was originally built, identified as 2009, 2010, 2011, etc. on the sale ticket. All of this determines the price.

New batteries are the MOST IMPORTANT THING, so remember that if you purchase from an individual (say on CraigsList.) The two businesses above only sell golf cars with new batteries. You will want a key made that fits only your golf car since they are all made to use the same key.

Prices range from $1,500. to $7,000 depending on your choices, the year, batteriesnew or used, add-ons, etc. Most of the ones in our neighborhood run $3,500. to $5,000 and most were purchased at Graham for the same reasons I listed above.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions. Here's Wally in our golf car.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:02 pm 

Like your pimped out ride Patrish. :cool: . We have three golf carts (used for golf only) that a set of those rims would look nice on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:44 pm 

We also bought our current golf cart from Graham's. It was actually displayed at their Surfside Beach location, but the location Patrish cited is actually much closer to us, and has done the installation of even more accessories to it than shown in this picture (recently, at Market Common):

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:57 pm 

I'll also note that ours is the "PDS" version of the EZ-GO cart, which is a rather higher speed version than a typical cart. If you're getting one for on-road use, you may wish to consider this type or a similar one...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:56 pm 

You guys really do "pimp" out your rides. I guess a golf cart would really be an essential part of living at the beach. We have three Yamaha gas powered carts to handle the terrain of the golf courses in the area.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Some people get quite creative. Here's one (front and back) that we spotted in Market Common not long ago:

And it's true....they are VERY popular around here:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:28 am 

MBKY wrote:
You guys really do "pimp" out your rides. I guess a golf cart would really be an essential part of living at the beach. We have three Yamaha gas powered carts to handle the terrain of the golf courses in the area.

If you have time to kill you can play on YouTube......Type in Cherry Grove Golf Cart Parade.....Looks like it's an annual July Fourth event.....
Beware. If you just type in Cherry Grove most of the videos are of another Cherry Grove at Fire Island New York.......Definitely not "our" Cherry Grove.......

Also. Few more videos to search through. Black Bike Week videos. Most of them now are of the cars and bikes. Think cars have taken over the show. Mixed in with the cars are golf carts with lift kits and 20"-39" rims and tires. They put the "pimp" into the pimped out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 pm 

MBKY wrote:
You guys really do "pimp" out your rides...

pop2748 wrote:
...They put the "pimp" into the pimped out.

I read the above remarks - and realized our golf cart wasn't "pimped out" enough.

Thus, being an entertainer - I decided to grab one of my many props, strategically place it, and make our golf cart quite adequately "pimped out" now...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 am 

If you don't want to get raped, then I would go to Columbia or somewhere away from the costal area to buy a golf cart.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

You can probably find a better deal elsewhere. But when comparing price, also take into consideration that delivery and a warranty are included with local golf cart businesses. Will the out of town businesses do the same? I don't know. But if not, it would be pricey to get it home and to take it back for warranty work.

BTW...here's a link to the City of Myrtle Beach's golf cart laws for anyone interested.

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/golfcarts.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm 

Thanks Patrish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:34 pm 

I actually wanted to say a few days ago the same thing Patrish said regarding buying local versus inland. Our son lives in Sumter, SC - about 100 miles inland - and golf carts there are comparatively generally less expensive, but the warranty/service-where-you-buy, etc advantages are significant to consider depending on your situation.

If you're looking for just a basic, no-frills USED cart to pick up from an individual, buying elsewhere may be a good option to at least consider and check out first. But otherwise, it may all be just a worthwhile and convenient trade-off to buy in this area...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:26 am 

Will only be down for less than a week so will stay local. Will check Grahams and prolly craigslist also to see whats around. Thanks Guys.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

I wanna see a picture when you get it! :nanner: