Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jellyfish sting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm 

Even though it's to late and my aunt, who is an ER nurse, made mom go to the doc today because she got stung by a jellyfish yesterday. It was a good day yesterday, it was 50% getting stung, mom, my brother in law and my nephew got stung. Me my sister and niece didn't. My aunt got here yesterday afternoon so she wasn't in the mix. Anyway what are something to do if you get stung and what are some remedies you do that work for them? Also do stings get worse the more times you get stung? It seems like mom gets stung every year. This year it looks like it went between her legs so like 3" circles on each thigh. Just wondering if any of you have any ideas, for next time so we don't have to go to the doc. thank you

Post subject: Re: Jellyfish sting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 pm 

two remedies: vinegar works as does meat tenderizer. don't know about progressive reactions. have to look that one up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 pm 

I am not a Doctor but here is an article that backs up Phroggy's advice. http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/marine-sti ... -treatment
Vinegar is a good choice to have on hand. Matter of fact we leave next week and I think I'll keep a bottle with me on the beach...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:12 pm 

I have done this a few tiimes and it works. When you get stung, before you get out of the water, reach down and grab a handful of the wet sand and rub it on the sting while still under the water. It provides immediate pain relief. It sounds strange, I know. I heard about this on the radio when I was a kid. It was about 30 years before I ever had need to try it. Since then I have done it several times myself and my kids and their friends have done it too. I heard a lifeguard at Hilton Head offer the same advice to a mother of a girl who was stung.

I have also heard that urinating on the sting helps. I havent tried that one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:08 pm 
Forum Support

Someone on here mentioned that lifeguards have vinegar to spray on the stings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:38 am 

I'm pretty sure the lifeguards have vinegar in a spray bottle. When we were down in 2009, there was a lot of stinging going on and everyone was heading to the lifeguards and their spray bottles. My husband and I called it the "jelly juice".
Angela

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:06 pm 

We got back from Myrtle Beach last weekend, and all of the lifeguards had vinegar spray bottles at their chairs. Our daughter's friend got stung, and it really soothed her sting.

Several years ago, our son got stung by a Man O War, and that was MUCH worse than a jellyfish. The lifeguard at that beach (North Myrtle) had a bottle of Windex, and sprayed it on the welts on his back. Instant relief, and a good recovery. The lifeguard told us that most people use a mix of vinegar and water because it is cheap, but that Windex worked better. I'd assume just about anything acidic would work to sooth a sting.

That summer, someone made a post here about a suntan lotion that supposedly repels Jelly Fish. It is called Safe Sea, and is only available on-line. We bought a couple of bottles. Does it work? I have no idea. But I can tell you that none of us every got a Jelly Fish sting while wearing that lotion. It's gone now, but I may order some for our next visit. Here's a link to their website so folks can check it out for themselves. http://www.buysafesea.com/jellyfish_sting_lotion.php

Scott