Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southern Hospitality
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:32 pm 

Saturday night, our last at the beach, we were in Murrells Inlet for dinner and then a trip to the Marsh Walk for music. Departing Flo's after dinner we immediately noticed driving that one of our tires was low. Quick detour to a gas station on Route 17 and ... we had a flat. We were staying in Myrtle Beach itself, so it would be quite a drive back.

A nice guy stopped with his young son, introduced himself as a Georgetown volunteer firefighter. He said he noticed us pulling across the road with a flat tire. He asked if he could help as he had a tire repair kit in his truck.

Not only did he remove the nail in our tire and fix/plug the hole, but would not accept anything for his help. We "donated" $20 to his son for ice cream money (nice to see the smile on the son's face).

Without his help we would have probably been delayed a day coming home and would have had to call for emergency road assistance.

Such a pleasure to run into nice and caring people. We didn't get his name, but if anyone knows a Georgetown volunteer firefighter that lives in Sandy Plains let him know we are thankful for his kindness.

Also posted this on Trip Advisor in case anyone might know who he is.

Post subject: Re: Southern Hospitality
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:22 pm 

wow! Isn't that sweet? This is exaclty why my family wants to move to the MB area. Where we live in MD, no one would dream of helping anyone. I'm so glad someone was nice enough to help you!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

What a heart-warming story! Thanks for sharing it with us. And it was very sweet of you to make a donation to the son's ice cream fund! What a perfect way for you to say "thank you."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:24 pm 

thanks for sharing...that is a wonderful story...makes you feel good about people!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 pm 

One of our member's husband is a Georgetown firefighter. I sent her the link to the T/A post. She immediately posted it to Facebook for her firehouse connections to see. As of this afternoon I think they narrowed it down to who the fireman was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 am 

Oh, the power of Facebook! The person who helped us out posted a response on Trip Advisor. Can you believe of all the millions of people in the world one small post and you can find someone within 24 hours! Thanks for the assistance in locating him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am 

Wow! That's great. Got to love the power of the internet!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
Here is from my facebook.....

Laura McKnight Barnett shared a link.
Sunday
I was sent the following post from trip advisor about an awesome firefighter helping someone out (thanks Alan Smith).I think it maybe someone from Georgetown County Fire but I am unsure who, so I thought I would post it in hopes someone else would recognize who it is and let them know! Southern Hospitality
Jul 07, 2013, 3:26 PM
Last night, our last at the beach, we were in Murrell's Inlet for dinner and then a trip to the Marsh Walk for music. Departing Flo's after dinner we immediately noticed driving that one of our tires was low. Quick detour to a gas station on Route 17 and ... we had a flat. We were staying in Myrtle Beach itself, so it would be quite a drive back.

A nice guy stopped with his son, introduced himself as a Georgetown volunteer firefighter. He said he noticed us pulling across the road with a flat tire. He asked if he could help as he had a tire repair kit in his truck.

Not only did he remove the nail in our tire and fix/plug the hole, but would not accept anything for his help. We "donated" $20 to his son for ice cream money (nice to see the smile on the son's face).

Without his help we would have probably been delayed a day coming home and would have had to call for emergency road assistance.

Such a pleasure to run into nice and caring people. We didn't get his name, but if anyone knows a Georgetown volunteer firefighter that lives in Sandy Plains let him know we are thankful for his kindness. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g5 ... olina.html
Southern Hospitality - Myrtle Beach Forum - TripAdvisor
www.tripadvisor.com
Last night, our last at the beach, we were in Murrell's Inlet for dinner and then a trip to the Marsh Walk for music. Departing Flo's after dinner we immediately noticed driving that one of our tires was low. Quick detour to a gas station...
2Like · · Promote · Share
Lisa Shurling Barnes, Earlene Watkins Arnold Vance, Anicia Hoskins-Whisenhunt and 8 others like this.

Laura McKnight Barnett Lisa Barnes Chris Armstrong Daniel Poindexter ..do any of you know who this might be?
Yesterday at 9:32am via mobile · Like · 1

Daniel Poindexter No idea
Yesterday at 1:51pm via mobile · Unlike · 1

Lisa Shurling Barnes That was Edsel Moore, a Career (not volunteer) Firefighter/EMT. He works for Georgetown County Fire/EMS. He lives in the Pleasant Hill Community of Nothern Georgetown County. Southern Hospitality, sure. Just the right thing to do, OF COURSE!
Yesterday at 2:49pm · Like

Lisa Shurling Barnes Thanks for sharing Laura McKnight Barnett! I'm sure he'll get a kick out this
Yesterday at 2:50pm · Like

Lurane Cornutt · 2 mutual friends
Love to hear these amazing stories. This need to be shared with the newspaper.
Yesterday at 3:04pm · Like · 1

Lyle Fuller · Friends with Lisa Shurling Barnes
Hats off to Edsel
Yesterday at 8:20pm · Like · 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Laura, thanks for taking the time to share this information with us!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 am 

Such an awesome story.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:46 pm 

In the age of the "angry world" its so nice to hear of a caring individual.Also props to you for having a big heart and wanting to give this man his praise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm 

Hi, all. The guy that helped us out is Edsel Moore, a Georgetown firefighter and EMT. He posted on Trip Advisor that is was him, and I personally thanked him again.

I don't think he is a big message board/Internet forum type of person. He seems like a very humble guy.