Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:51 am 

I'm still against their use on the beach but it's not safety that concerns Mr. Lack, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:30 am 

phroggy wrote:
I'm still against their use on the beach but it's not safety that concerns Mr. Lack, I'm sure.

Me to see the reasons in the other thread how did all these people get along before the last 10 years or so?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am 

Although I don't particularly care for tents, I can see someone needing a tent for various reasons. However, when you take up this much room it is overkill with chairs front, back, and both sides spread out 5 to 10 feet from double tents. I took these pictures while walking on the beach at Garden City Beach a little past 7 AM this morning.

[Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:52 am 

I think the pic in that last news report is a bit misleading. (Like news media would do that) Where was it taken and at what time of day? If there were only two tents in an area it wouldn't be a problem. I've seen them packed in together like small tent cities. That news pic looks like 8-9 am before they have all of them put up.
Might also add. The one.......Is empty......

Safety issue isn't just for lifeguards. Family with small kids. More open beach it's easier to keep track of the kids. 25-50 feet from chairs can still see them. In a tent city. A little one can step a few feet and be out of sight. Yes it's the parents job to watch them close but we've all been there with kids. It happens.

In response to Bruce's pics. I agree it's overkill. But it also shows how different the beach areas are. In the background we see houses. Later in the day that area might have a couple hundred people in that hundred yard stretch. A few tents might not be a big deal.
In a congested area with a row of condos. You might have a couple thousand in a 100 yard stretch. A cluster of tents would be a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:12 pm 

From Myrtle Beach online
http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smed ... St.78.jpeg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for the addition of photos! :nanner:

I added update & photos to the heading!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
myrtle beachcomber wrote:

Whoever says it is not a problem has got to be kidding!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:58 am 

It really seems that a ban on tents coupled with a reasonable cap on rental fees would solve most of this. I don't understand why that is so hard for the city council to do.... :dontknow:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm 

In regards to the above pic with rows of tents lined up. We vacation in Surfside in late June and the areas we go to are nothing like that. Any comments I make on the subject are with my personal experience. Luckily I don't have to deal with any tents set up like the above picture which more than likely is from July 4th week which is the busiest of the year. If I stayed in an area with that many tents I personally wouldn't even want to go through the hassle of putting one up. The tent issue is not that big in surfside (which is not around any high rise hotels). I have and elderly parent that comes to the beach and watches his grand kids play in the ocean. Without at tent, I highly doubt he would be able to do that. I still say there is some monetary interest as always in this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:10 pm 

To be fair the pic I posted was taken before the current law was passed but its enforecment is haphazard at best and tents together like in Bruces pic is one of the things expressly forbidden by the current law and notice how the tenters in Bruces pic are not even under the tent but pread out to claim a large portion of prime beach. This is what we have run into many times in our area (Shore Drive area).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:34 am 

I get why people like to use them. I also see why others don't like their use. When we were at Sea Watch, they were everywhere and there was little, if any, walking space. It was a maze. There's not rhyme or reason and they take an inordinate amount of space, unlike an umbrella and a set of chairs. Several times, we tripped on the guide ropes/posts. Georgia nearly broke her toe. It wasn't a "friendly" sort of environment. I had a hard time seeing her/keeping her in view with the tent issue. It's like everything else, it's gone crazy in a short time. The beach in that area during tide is very narrow. Aside from encouraging the chair/umbrella rental agencies, I'd still probably go with the ban during "high season" for the reasons I mentioned. They're just too big.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:30 pm 

If I were to see in person, that many 'canopies' in one area, my 1st thought would be Flea Market.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 pm 

When we were in Surfside, the beginning of August, we never saw that number of canopies...and most were in the side areas or behind the line of rental umbrellas...no bad experiences...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:26 pm 

I've been to North Myrtle Beach about 15 times, and stayed in Myrtle Beach where the Sea Watch area is 3 times. I've NEVER seen that many canopies on the beach as shown in the pictures, like a tent city except on 4th of July one year at Ocean Annies on Shore Drive and it wasn't that many tents as the picture. We use a canopy and keep it way back behind the lifeguard chairs.

In this world you can't please everyone. I guess someone should be there at the beach to enforce the areas that need to remain open, and if someone takes up that space give them a fine. That's my idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:34 pm 

I've been trying to stay out of this thread, because we too are a family that brings our EZ up. We also come after labor day and we may see 2 or 3 tents around us, but we've never seen a scene like that with the tents. I don't know how anyone uses those little tiny umbrellas, and the fee to rent them is outrageous. We go as a family of 7 people, so the tent works much better for us. We've never seen a problem with them, but maybe it's because we go "off season"

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next