It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Source WMBF News:

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/22708461/ ... -the-beach

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 pm 

Just got back from the beach and discussed this very issue a couple of times with the people I was with. Keep in mind, we were in Surfside and not MB proper. Although they will play it off as a safety issue (and it may be somewhat), they are also taking a hit financially. It was funny to look at all the empty city owned beach chairs and umbrellas. Not one person sitting in any of them, but tents lined up safely all behind the lifeguard in a straight line near near the beach entrance. No safety problem that I could tell since all were well behind the lifeguard and plenty of room for police atvs to maneuver.

Family I was with had been to Daytona recently and said no tents anywhere on the beach, but every single city owned chair and umbrella was rented. They are definitely not bringing in the income they had been before tents and umbrellas became cheaply available.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 pm 

Safety.....Revenue......I see a third possible reason or their looking at banning them. Maybe they're noticing the effect the canopies are having on beach visitors who don't use them.

Most of our trips in recent years have been off season and the canopies haven't been a problem. See very few if any in spring and fall.
Couple summer trips dealing with canopies has taken away from our enjoyment of the beach. Like a lot of things. The canopies started out as a good thing for a few people but it has grown out of control.

First bad experience was few years back before it even started being an issue or looked at by local cities. Walking up the beach at high tide there was a large "tent city" of canopies at the end of Sea Mountain where the large public access is located. You had the size of the canopy and the square footage it took up to deal with and in most cases the people in the group were standing or sitting out from under it taking up even more beach. It was impossible to walk by without walking out into knee deep water.

Last summer trip was two years ago. I would go out before family to set up our little camp. Two chairs and an umbrella. By 10:00am there would be a line of canopies at the high tide line. Anybody arriving later was stuck back behind with little or no view of beach. There would be two to three rows of canopies and umbrellas to navigate through to get to the water. Very little breeze to help deal with the heat.
Once the tide started out we could move our chairs out to the water's edge and it was ok but for a few hours a day it was a miserable mess.

Before it's all over with it will be like no-smoking laws. Who has the right to what? Yes the canopy users have as much right to the beach as non-canopy people but where do you draw the line where both sides can enjoy the beach?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:47 pm 

Interesting point.... the per-capita square footage of canopy users seems far more versus umbrella-dwellers. We visited a couple years back in June and a lot of the tents were vacant. I'm typically laissez-faire, but won't be heartbroken if tents/canopies are banned.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:04 pm 

You have all seen my thoughts on this in the past in the umbrella section and I stand by those views here and now!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:22 am 

I still like renting my umbrellas and chairs...much easier for me...no muss...no fuss...no effort...just part of my vacation budget...and the lifegaurds have always been interesting to talk to...I have made friends with several over the years...what can I say...I am soooo lazy at the the beach I do not want to even set up my own umbrella...we do bring or buy the low beach chairs...so we can sit at the waters edge...
FYI...we have never had a problem in Surfside with the canopies..they have always been behing the chair /umbrella line... :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:36 am 

It's $30 for a single day chair and umbrella rental. I'm sorry but it should be half that amount. I'm not saying that I'm FOR the canopies because I'm certainly not. The beach in Myrtle is not wide enough to support them. What scares me most is when a storm brews up and these things go flying due to ignorance. I don't think they're safe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:08 am 

I could rant and rave for an hour about how it was up here. You would have 300 yards of tents right up against each other on the high tide line some tied together and the the beach chairs of the tenters spread out in front NOT underneath. If you dared to cut thru the tents to get to the water you were subject to dirtys lokks and comments for invading their space. I think the final straw that brought on the law up here was that it had devolved into an early morning contest as to who could get their stuff up first the tenters or the lifegaurd with the tenters leaving the tents up all night.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:13 am 

The idea of banning or limiting these tents would not be a bad idea except who it is coming from!! It looks like a "money grab" when the biggest opponents of these tents is the ones who rent umbrellas and chairs on the beach. Pop up tents or not, you are going to have a crowded beach during peak season. The last thing you want is a large truck racing up and down on the beach. Invest in some type of ATV's that are smaller and able to get around the crowds. I understand that emergencies happen, but smaller vehicles can still make it in and get a patient to an awaiting ambulance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:52 am 

We noticed how many more personal tents, umbrellas and canopies there were this year. There were all behind the "to rent" chairs so it was very crowded trying to get down to the beach with our chairs, bags and towels. One man tried to put up a small tent for his baby next to us and the lifeguards were right there telling him he had to behind the chairs - he wasn't very happy but glad they enforce that rule.

We stay at the Sea Watch and a boat had capsized so two big trucks came through with trailers carrying jet skis. I don't think they had much trouble coming through - this happened a day or two before I read that article in the Sun News wish I would have paid better attentio

I think a lot of it is money driven but I'm afraid if people stop renting from the lifeguards, Horry County won't be able to hire as many of them. That is one thing I really like about MB compared to other beaches - they have lots of lifeguards around!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:41 pm 

I'm indifferent to the tents/canopies because we go early in June. We wouldn't ever be going later more towards peak time. There isn't a whole lot of people on the beach and as far as I could see up and down the beach, there were maybe 10 canopies the entire looking distance from our 14th floor balcony.

I could see how it would be an issue more towards peak time. Someone posted a July 4th photo up in 2011 so for comparison, I put up pretty much the same photo from our early June trip. The difference in amount of people was staggering.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:09 pm 

I'm going aug the 4th though aug 10th 2013 and plan on bringing my EZ up tent. Is it still legal to do so?
Going to be staying in South Myrtle Beach. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the latest link I can find regarding the situation. This is Myrtle Beach, where things move slowly, so I'd say you're still safe.

http://myfox8.com/2013/07/10/myrtle-bea ... ach-tents/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm 

Ok thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $35 a day for some shade. That's the whole deal right their lacks beach service..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Latest News:

Beachgoers question need for proposed tent ban on Grand Strand:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/0 ... posed.html