Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to get a cake???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:30 pm 

Hubbies birthday is on Sunday while we are in MB and I want to get him a nice, yummy cake. Any suggestions on where I should be looking?

:sunny:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:12 pm 

There's always the grocery store for frozen cakes that they will decorate, but for real good cakes here's a few suggestions:

http://www.cakecreationsbymelanie.com/

http://coccadotts.com/myrtle-beach-sc/

www.croissants.net

And to check if there are discounts available, Google a business name, town or area they are in and the word discount and/or coupon then hit enter and see what comes up.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Southern Cupcake Co. is running a coupon right now for $12. for 1 dozen gourmet cupcakes:

http://northmyrtlebeach.wmbfnews.com/bu ... ke-company

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:09 pm 

Good call Patrish, too bad they are on the wrong end of the beach, that's about 20 miles away.

I printed one off anyhow, just in case I'm up that way, that's a dozen at half price.
And I do like good cupcakes, I have been going over to Pink Pineapple and Coccodotts for my sweet fixes.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:08 pm 
Forum Support

The Southern Cupcake Coupon might be expired. When I clicked it, the fine print said: "Valid for the month of January, 2013 only."

What does your printed coupon say Gary?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 pm 

I have a Southern Cupcake coupon that I got out of one of those books we get in the mail. I think the one from the North Myrtle Chamber. It is buy 2 and get 1 free. I love cupcakes and hope we get to try this out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:58 pm 

Missing the coupon does say at the top, valid for Jan 2013 and underneath it states Expires July 23, 2013.

Print it out now before it gets changed or removed from the website, I think it was supposed to be a coupon only for January but WMBF has left it posted, anyhow they will accept it if you bring it in until July 23rd.

Deanna, if your going to be here before then, get yourself one, it is a better deal that Buy 2 get 1 :)

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Gary, I agree it's out of the way for us, but the people who vacation here don't think twice about driving from North MB to Pawleys Island....sometimes twice on the same day! I guess it must be the "vacation mode." :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 pm 

patrish wrote:
Gary, I agree it's out of the way for us, but the people who vacation here don't think twice about driving from North MB to Pawleys Island....sometimes twice on the same day! I guess it must be the "vacation mode." :cool:

We had no problem with that. Ok, so not quite North Myrtle, I looked and that would be an hour 1 way. But we have no problems driving back and forth from Myrtle Beach to Pawleys more than once. Heck, when you live in the boonies like I do, that's a trip just for a gallon of milk. The North Myrtle to Pawleys would be the equivalent of going to the grocery store for the weekly trip of which even at home, we often drive 45 minutes in the morning to get groceries and home, then run to my wife's brother's place which is past the grocery store in the afternoon.

When you live in the boonies, an hour drive is the equivalent to 10 minutes to city folk. :mrgreen: Heck, we drive almost an hour just because the kids are hungry for a Wendy's Frosty, which of course, is right next to the grocery store that we had just been at in the morning, LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

I rest my case! :wav:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:42 am 

Mrogers, you are an exception I think, as to how far out in the country you live :)

And yes Patrish, folks may and do drive more while on vacation, yet I rationalize my savings by how much gas it is going to cost me and how much time, (time is money), so if I were to drive to NMB I am going to use $5.90 in gas plus an hour round trip, if I am going to save $12.50 (doz cupcakes reg price $25) that leaves me saving $6.60, I make more than $6.60 an hour so I have not saved anything, it just cost me money :)

It's the same for gas, I have neighbors who drive across the waterway and up Hwy 544 towards Conway to save 8 or 10 cents or so a gallon, now when I do the math, at 15 gallons that saves $1.50, figure out how much gas it took to get there, and at 15 miles round trip, in my case there is no savings and maybe not theirs either.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 am 

A few years ago, we stayed in NMB and drove to Pawley's Island several times that week. I love to ride down King's Highway and/or Ocean Drive and just take it all in when I'm on vacation. My husband, the driver in the family, does not. He insists if we're going to spend so much time at the south end of the Grand Strand that we stay down in Myrtle Beach (as opposed to NMB). Last year we stayed on 8th South in MB and we went to Fat Harold's one night. He just can't win. LOL!
Angela

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:38 am 

gary2beach wrote:
...It's the same for gas, I have neighbors who drive across the waterway and up Hwy 544 towards Conway to save 8 or 10 cents or so a gallon, now when I do the math, at 15 gallons that saves $1.50, figure out how much gas it took to get there, and at 15 miles round trip, in my case there is no savings and maybe not theirs either.

Gary

That reminded me of a guy I was military-stationed with in California. He and his wife lived off-base, and gas is usually cheaper at the base gas station.

As his wife told the story one night at a social gathering:

One day, he and his wife were arguing about that very same thing. SHE insisted he get gas at the station on the corner from their house, but HE insisted on driving the 15 miles or so (30 miles round trip) to the on-base gas station "to save a few cents on the gallon".

She in turn, insisted it would cost more overall to do so.

The argument was over when he returned home - with a full tank of gas...

...and a $200-plus ticket from the California Highway Patrol for speeding. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:45 pm 

:ac41[1]:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:04 am 

I have had to buy a birthday cake almost every year that we've been to MB, because we vacation at the time of my son' b'day.
There's a huge grocery store in NMB called "Boulinea's and for a grocery store they have really good cakes. I have fussy eater's when it comes to "store bought" when it comes to cakes, because I bake all the time at home. So that might be an option to look into.

Cathy