Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MOPEDS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:59 pm 

Have a 15 yr old that wants to ride a moped around to cruise. Safe or not? Everyone else's opinion? I'm inclined to tell him no but wondering if there are other opinions. Thanks

Post subject: Re: MOPEDS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 pm 

I'll start with the admission that I'm a "mean mom" that tends to err on the side of caution. That being said, I would say no without hesitation.

1. A 15 year old can't have that much driving experience under his belt.
2. It is unfamiliar territory.
3. The traffic in MB can be a challenge for even the most experienced driver.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:48 pm 

They are scooters, not mopeds. I haven't seen a moped (pedals to get it started and moving) since practically the 80's.

That said, having just been down there a little more than a week ago, I think all the rentals should be banned, and definitely I think there should be an age limit on them, quite a high age limit at that.

There was at least twice that I literally turned off Ocean Blvd. because there were complete idiots directly in front of me on rental scooters. Not all the idiots were a bunch of kids, nor were they even a group of immature idiots. Once it was a family, clearly dad, mom, and their 2 teenage kids (16-17 years old?) all on scooters with the kids, a boy and a girl, screwing around and driving like idiots following the parents. The boy nearly ran right into his mother on numerous occasions swerving and weaving around not paying attention to those in front of him.

The bit older kids when they get in a group were the worst. Total disregard for any rules of the road and like I said, acting like complete idiots. This group was swerving and weaving completely into the opposite lane, off the street up onto the sidewalk any time there was a hotel entrance, stopping and surging ahead. At one point, 2 of them just dead stopped right in front of me and one dropped the side stand leaving the scooter in the middle of the road. It wobbled, hence the 2nd guy stopping and grabbing it to hold it up while idiot number 1 ran across traffic to the opposite sidewalk and grabbed something from the sidewalk. Had I blinked, I would have run both of them over. I turned off Ocean Blvd. at that point and went a different way. I didn't want these idiots in front of me.

Typing this, I think, sheesh, I'm getting old. I'm turning into an old prude, LOL. I'm not. When I was young, I did stupid stuff in the car. Heck, I street raced, a lot! I drove fast, very VERY fast! (I'll admit it, I do know the top speed limit in every single car I've ever owned including even my current Jetta of which I am now adult age. Though I don't know what the limit is in the Rav4, said to be drag limited at 138 mph I think, won't beat the Jetta turbo though Image.) But I was smart enough to at least do it way out in the middle of nowhere along a stretch of country road that was 2 miles straight sloping into an uphill where there wasn't a car anywhere, nor a car expected being so far out in the country (I still drive this road often and think about how we use to street race up this road.) I wasn't doing stupid stuff like that in city or town limits nor did I do anything like just about every group of people I saw on scooters doing in heavy traffic along Ocean Blvd.

Sorry bout the rant. I thought of a few times renting one myself and having my daughter ride on the back and take a cruise, but it is too risky in my opinion. This is coming from a previous motorcycle rider too. In fact, without motorcycle experience, I would never let any of my children nor would I recommend any others of any age ride a scooter down in Myrtle Beach. All it takes is 1 car to not pay attention and pull out in front of you, and it happens all the time. An experienced motorcycle rider almost has a sixth sense about spotting dangers to themselves when on a motorcycle. Anyone who has never ridden a motorcycle on the street does not have this and really for their own good, should not be cruising on these scooters. An experience cyclist has far greater situational awareness than the same experienced motorist due to the feeling you have of being vulnerable on a motorcycle and a 15 year old has absolutely no situational awareness learned whether riding a motorcycle, a scooter, or a car. They learn that by driving and it's better they learn it from the confines of a cage, not from underneath the back tire of the car that just pulled out in front of them on a busy city street while they were riding a scooter for fun.

Bahhhh.... I'm only 41 years old, I'm such an old prude.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:43 am 

You can rent both scooters as well as mopeds in Myrtle Beach and vicinity. Scooter operators must follow the same rules and regulations as a motorcycle operator but the mopeds do not fall under the same category. A moped operator can be as young as 15 and no helmets are required. Generally, they stay on Ocean Blvd as the vehicle can not go faster than 25mph. Either way, I have no desire to ride them myself let alone let my child ride them. The traffic is insane enough in a car.