Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Housekeeping tips
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:08 pm 

Do any of you tip housekeeping each day they come in and clean condo? If so, how much? I usually leave $3.00 per day (if they come in and clean) sometimes I meet them at door just to get clean towels.
Just wondering if i'm way off on the amount?

Thanks......21 days and we head down!!!

Post subject: Re: Housekeeping tips
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:18 pm 

I usually $1 to 2$ a day depending on how good of a job. I leave it at the end of the trip as we are leaving.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:22 pm 

Thanks....I usually put money in an envelope and leave on kitchen counter in the morning. I'm hoping they will do an extra special cleaning job if I leave them a little something :)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 pm 

I have always read that it is customary to leave $1 per person per day. There is only 4 of us, but it's easier to just get six $5 bills at the bank to put in the envelope.

Leaving a tip at the end of the week doesn't mean the person who cleaned the room all week will get the tip. What happens when on your last day, that person had off and someone else cleans the room?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:58 pm 

I always leave $5 (in a personalized envelope that I make) per day every day. And yes, we do seem to get much better service after they see that they will get a tip! I've even had some of our housekeepers come back and tell me how much they appreciate it many times. And most tell me they look forward to seeing how the next day's envelope will be decorated!

It is only the 2 of us, and when I first started tipping, I did the $2 per day route, but found out in this economy, the extra little bit goes a long way for some. Since we usually only stay 5 nights, I feel that the $25 is well spent. I'd rather give up a T-shirt or some other souvenir to make someone's day brighter! :sunny: And we benefit by getting better cleaning, extra towels, etc.! :nanner:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 am 

Like Karen, we tip $5 per day in individual envelopes which we leave on the pillow each morning. I also make a point of meeting our housekeeper and asking what time would be best for them each day so that we know when to vacate the room. You'd be amazed at how much that is appreciated.
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:06 pm 

Thanks everyone....guess I better add another $2 to each envelope!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:57 am 

When we occasionally decide to take the "Do Not Disturb" sign off the door, we do the standard $1 per person, per day. We also tip each day as the housekeepers are sometimes different from day to day.
Angela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 pm 

We bring our own envelopes and leave $1.00 per person per day. Service is always exceptional. They even do our dishes and put them away if they're already done.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:14 pm 

We've been renting through vrbo for the last several years so there's no need to tip anyone anymore. We are more or less responsible for not only our own cleanliness but also for the future guests.

When we were renting directly through the resorts, housekeeping was unwelcome anyway. The less people in my room the better. All I needed was some clean towels and a couple rolls of TP. I can pick up after myself and make my own bed just fine, thank you!!

PS: Where does tipping stop? Why don't I deserve tips?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:23 am 

phroggy wrote:
We've been renting through vrbo for the last several years so there's no need to tip anyone anymore. We are more or less responsible for not only our own cleanliness but also for the future guests.

When we were renting directly through the resorts, housekeeping was unwelcome anyway. The less people in my room the better. All I needed was some clean towels and a couple rolls of TP. I can pick up after myself and make my own bed just fine, thank you!!

I agree with you phroggy about house keeping being an inconvenience. When we started staying at the place we do now one of the first things we read on the pamphlet highlighting the resort was maid service was only included with a substantial extra charge. We thought that was the end of the world. How was we going to go a week with no maid? What we found out was it was actually easier not to have one. No worry about leaving items in the room. I know someone has a key, but a lot less likely to go into someone's room when you are not supposed to be there. We do have to clean and sweep a little, but I like not having to plan our schedule around house keeping

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:39 am 

Speaking of Housekeeping washing your dishes.... I read one time (confessions of a housekeeper) that sometimes they will clean your room, including bathroom -- tub, toilet, etc. with the same cloth and then use it to wash your dishes. Another one said they didn't even wash the dishes -- just rinsed them off and put them away. Ever since then I have to wash my dishes each time before I use them.
Angela

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 am 

I only let housekeeping in my room maybe twice the whole time i'm there. I don't know why, but I've never liked people in my room, and there is no need for them to be in there every single day. I'm not worried about the bed being made, or having some vaccum the room. We let them in about mid week for new towels, but other than that the Do Not Disturb sign is constantly on the door.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:18 am 

phroggy wrote:

I totally agree with this! I do my job and do a good job, and never get tipped! lol I save my housekeeping tips and have a great last night out instead. However, I have been staying at the Long Bay Resort in MB and they do not have good housekeeping, so I don't feel a tip is warranted. What makes me really mad is walking in and finding issues with the room, but right out on the table is a maid's tip envelope! Maybe if they took more time to clean and less time to make out envelopes with little smiley faces, I'd leave a tip!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 am 

WVParkfan wrote:
Like Karen, we tip $5 per day in individual envelopes which we leave on the pillow each morning. I also make a point of meeting our housekeeper and asking what time would be best for them each day so that we know when to vacate the room. You'd be amazed at how much that is appreciated.
Scott

I totally agree! We don't stay at a hotel when in MB but always in Disney. I make it a point to tip $5 every day because on occasions the maids do change. I don't want someone who cleaned my room for 1 day to get the entire weeks worth of tips.

The way I look at it is this woman is making my bed, cleaning my toilets and sinks, and washing my floors. Yes, she is getting paid but it's really just my way to say "Thank You. I appreciate what you do." Thank God $5 a day in the bigger scheme of things won't be missed by us and I always pray it blesses them somehow. I guess I just look at it as a type of "paying it forward..."