Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Luggage carriers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:16 pm 

After reading reviews on here and elsewhere, I'm going to purchase a soft sided carrier for our trip this summer. We stop on Friday night late in Greensboro to spend the night - has anyone had trouble with these being stolen off vehicle or thieves getting into them and stealing luggage or do you carry all your luggage in for the night?

Thanks.......

Post subject: Re: Luggage carriers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:36 pm 

We usually don't stop overnight, but did this fall on a trip to Charleston. We actually stayed in an unfamiliar area, and once we got there we found the area not to be as expected and we were a little reluctant to leave it on there. It was late though and I really didn't want to unpack it and pack it back, so I parked the vehicle directly in front of the front desk and asked the clerk to keep an eye on it. Told him that we had a cargo carrier on top and that we would not be getting anything off the top of the vehicle that night, and if anyone was around it to call the police and call our room. The area we were in was a little less than what we expected, so I was being extra cautious that night. Cars were actually cruising around the hotel looking for locals that were throwing parties in rooms there. :mad: Not a good place to be, but it was paid for and it was late. Anyway, no one bothered the luggage and we were using a similar carrier to what you purchased. We do put a lock on it, which would do little good, but may be enough to let someone pass it by.

In a little better neighborhood, I don't know if I would worry too much. Still might not be a bad idea to park it close to the front desk if it makes you more comfortable. The carriers are not hard to pack, but there is an art to placing everything in the right spots to maximize what you can put in it. I would not want to pack it again the next morning if I didn't have to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:56 pm 

We have traveled with a soft sided carrier many times and stayed overnight. It has never been bothered. We do park under a light and in view of the front desk if possible. Also, we try not to have anything really valuable packed in the carrier. Most trips the items we put up there could be easily replaced...if needed...beach towels, beach bags, duffle bags...valuables go in the room with us...I would not want to unpack and repack each overnight stop either...late or not...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 pm 

I really wouldn't worry about it. Didn't want my earlier post to scare you. This was just a rare occurance where we ended up at a national chain hotel that just ended up to be in a bad location. The locals had just taken over the place as a weekend party stop and it made for a lot of non-customers hanging out in the parking lot and circling around the building. At most places we stay, I would not give a second thought about not leaving the luggage on top. Like the above post, either park where the desk clerk can keep an eye on it, or park in a well lit area that you can see from your room. The only thing that goes up top for us is mostly clothes and beach towels. Very low odds that anyone will try and take your luggage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:01 am 

Thanks everyone.....yea the only thing we will put in there is luggage, towels and a few odds/ends. I'll tell DIL to put all jewelry in her overnight bag that she will take into hotel on Friday. We could wait and leave early Saturday morning - but rather only be 3-4 hours away rom the beach instead of 12!!

I'm always afraid of making reservations in advance because you never know the area - we have been burnt a couple times! It is a little easier now with all the websites and reviews to know if it is a safe area or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 am 

I did this last year and did not have an issue. I made sure to park under a light and I had a lock on the zipper. Another suggestion I have seen is to use a bicycle lock to secure it to your car somehow. I think this would only work if you had luggage racks.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 pm 

We try to put the least valuable and/or most easily expendable stuff up there (beach chairs, beach towels, etc.). Also we try to stay at a more reputable hotel (hoping that will help). We also each pack 1 backpack for the first night stop with one change of clothes and necessities, so we don't have to unpack any suitcases. So far we've not had any problems doing it this way.
Angela