Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 am 

Has anyone spent time at the beach in Huntington Beach State Park? We tried Myrtle Beach State Park for a day last year and enjoyed it (we were there in September so it wasn’t crowded) and are thinking of trying Huntington Beach State Park this year.
Myrtle Beach State Park has two sections, one with rental umbrellas and lifeguards and one section just beach. They also have restrooms nearby. I was wondering if Huntington State Beach is set up the same way. It looks like a beautiful beach in the pictures I have seen, except for the alligators roaming around.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Bruce, are you talking about visiting for a day or staying at the campgrounds?

I go there often, especially in the summer, because it is not as crowded as MB State Park. (We buy the yearly passes.)

There are 2 entrances to the beach at HBSP. When you go over the causeway, after the entrance (where you might see an alligator) you can turn either right or left to a parking space near the beach. Both paths to the ocean are a fairly long walk, compared to MBSP. Both parking spaces for the beach are near the restrooms, but at the main parking area for the beach and Atalaya (turn right) it's a little further from the parking lot to the bathrooms than the other parking place (turn left) where you can park right next to the restrooms.

There are lifeguards, but for the life of me, I've never figured out their schedule. I see them more often at the main entrance (turn right after the causeway.) The only information I can find says "lifeguards seasonal." here:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/H ... rkId=10115

So you might want to contact:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/hunti ... ction.aspx
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/conta ... fault.aspx

HBSP is a wider longer beach than MBSP. It's really beautiful! There is an excellent Nature Center with stingrays, identifying bird calls and much more (turn left.) There is always someone there if you have questions. Additionally, next to the Nature Center is a very long pier. If you walk to the end you are likely to see lots of shorebirds and some lovely views of the surrounding area.

There is another information center near the main parking lot to the beach (turn right.) There you'll find the souvenir shop upstairs.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else here can give you more information about the lifeguard system.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 pm 

We love Huntington Beach State Park. There are places to walk out see wonderful wildlife as well as go to the beach. If you wanting to take some great pictures of the family then the dunes at Huntington Beach is the place. You won't regret a visit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 am 

Yes, I was talking about visiting for a day and spending time at the beach Patrish. Thank you for all the information, it sounds great ! And thank you Grammieof5 for the recommendation. Look forward to spending a day there next vacation.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm 

I think this is where we'd like to get some wedding pictures of us taken when we are down. Where exactly is it?

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:48 pm 

ScarletBegonias wrote:
I think this is where we'd like to get some wedding pictures of us taken when we are down. Where exactly is it?

It's about 15 miles south of Hwy 501, across from Brookgreen Gardens.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/hunti ... ction.aspx

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Here's an interactive map to get you there! Enter your location.....

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/hunti ... tions.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am 

great! I'd like to visit this year!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:32 pm 

When we go for the day, we go to HBSP. Very picturesque, Lots to do i.e. nature walks, bird viewing, has a nice gift shop and clean changing rooms
When we want to quickly swim and sun for an hour or two, we go to MBSP. They are wildly different and we love them both.
We live in Surfside so we are closer to MBSP.
(Soon, oh so soon :cheerleader: )

Diane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:40 pm 

One of our favorite places. Love watching the alligators (morning or evening the best) and the walkway into the salt marsh is very nice too. We have walked the beach in the evening and was very quiet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:30 pm 

Bruce, when are u going to MB? If its before Sept. would u post your opinion? We've never been there either , and due to my on going health problems we will only make it once this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:39 pm 

Bigpts we finally made it to Huntington Beach State Park about 2 weeks ago and have been back four times since. It is a beautiful beach, no hotels in the background, no lifeguard sponsored umbrellas and have not yet found it very crowded. On the weekends there are more people, but they seem to bunch up by the entrance to the beach, if you go down a bit in either direction it is less populated.
They charge $5 per person but we purchased the yearly pass for $79 and an entire car load of people can enter on the pass. We are looking forward to seeing the rest the park has to offer that Patrish mentioned above but right now we are enjoying the beach.
We live in Surfside Beach and it is about ten miles from us and we in turn are about 10 miles from Broadway at the Beach if that helps you distance wise. Definately worth the trip if you have the time.
Not always this empty, it was still early when I took this pic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:54 pm 

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.