Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Myrtle Beach Airport
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:38 pm 

How confusing or not is the new Myrtle Beach Airport. Can I get a map online?

Post subject: Re: Myrtle Beach Airport
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 pm 
Forum Support

http://www.flymyrtlebeach.com/at-myr/airport-terminal/

Not the best, but its all I can find. HTH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 pm 

Thank you, it's more than I had.

It just sounds confusing getting into (and out of) the airport; last time we flew, we simply took the exit off Rte. 17, and just drove right into the airport.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

You can get to the airport from 17 bypass (the same way you have used for years.) It just takes a little longer as you now pass the terminal then circle back.

The new entrance is Harrelson Blvd. off S. Kings Hwy. (17 business.) The intersection is located near the fire department, near the entrance to Whispering Pines Golf and the AVX Ceramics (?) building. It is just a new extension of the old Harrleson Blvd. (See map linked below.)

We went to the airport from the Market Common area on 1/20. We had called ahead for a pick-up here at the house at 5:30. He took us to the airport via the old way...N. on17 bypass. The cost without tip was around $18.

When we got back to MB on 1/30, we took one of the cabs that wait in line at the terminal. When we gave him our address, he said "I'll take you out the new Harrelson Blvd. to a right on Bus. 17 and a right into Market Common. I think It will be quicker than taking the bypass." It was. Total cost (again without tip) $14.

I guess it depends on which way you're heading once you arrive at the airport. If north, I'd head for the bypass; if south, try the new terminal entrance.

Here's a map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rl ... CDQQ8gEwAA

This is from a recent story in The Sun News
(Information overload, LOL!)

"Glitches with delivery of materials have delayed the planned opening of the new terminal at Myrtle Beach International Airport for at least a month. The new terminal was expected to be fully operational Feb. 19, but work won’t be done by then, prompting at least a 30-day delay, officials said. Officials had been pushing to finish the $118 million expansion before the spring golf and tourist season started heating up. But officials said Wednesday that they don’t expect a delay to negatively affect the spring season; flights still will be operating through the existing terminal until the new terminal opens. Golfers are more concerned with hitting the links, not which terminal they come through, said Bill Golden, president of marketing group Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday. “The airport is a distant memory by the time their feet hit the curb,” he said. Problems with delivery of some materials, including metal exterior panels, has delayed construction. The standalone rental car building, which was originally set to open in October, still isn’t complete."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:34 pm 

Wonderful response, thank you so very much. We usually spend the winter in Myrtle Beach, but decided not to this year. I MISS IT! We have the best time every winter when we're there - lots of golf (Tupelo Bay), shows, shopping (love the Coastal Grand Mall), beautiful beaches to walk. We're home, but I'm homesick for MB.
Thanks again!
Gail Marcantonio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Gail, I'm so sorry you won't be here this year. I'm sure you DO miss it...you've been coming here for a long time. Hopefully you'll get back next year!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall