Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am 

Please be safe everyone. Plan on moving down there either 2019 or 2020. Would like some neighbors. :icon_smile:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Now safely in FL. Watching Florence as she approaches my favorite beach!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 pm 

Hard to believe this is real.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

It's over, and we got off easy considering the size of the storm. Thanks for yout throughts and prayers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 am 

Morning, I live down here between Glens Bay Road and 17 ByPass, up from Surfside Beach. I stayed for the storm. I can tell you that we got quite a bit of rain here yesterday. The very large pond in back of my house was a foot and a half low when the storm began and is now filled to where it should be and will begin to climb the banks soon. Still has quite a way to go to reach my house so I am not worried, but according to TV we are due for another 7 to 10 inches of rain between now and Sunday evening.

As far as the wind, it was never much of a factor where I am. We had gusts of only 45 mph yesterday. In the morning yesterday there were hardly any winds at all, then they picked up in the afternoon to maybe 25 to 30 mph. This morning not bad at all, wind is light and gusts today are said to be headed to around 30 mph.

From what I have seen on TV there wasn't much of a surge in Surfside Beach and Garden City Beach as the wind was blowing out to sea. Camera shots I have seen on line and TV show Garden City fared pretty well so far. From what I have seen Wacamaw Dr (the street that runs along the ocean) had minimal flooding.

The TV reporters traveling in the beach area are pointing out the damage and it is only things like a light came down or an awning was torn or came down so I don't believe it is too bad down by the beach thus far. But remember the wind has changed direction and is now coming off the ocean and we are due for much more rain. The storm is now a only a Tropical Storm with winds of 50 mph. We just need to get through all the rain now.

For those of you concerned about North Myrtle Beach I have copied and pasted the following from WBTW 13 News: North Myrtle Beach officials say crews have not found any major damage caused by Florence, but more beach erosion is possible. Street flooding in North Myrtle Beach has occurred in the usual spots, but no major damage has been reported by crews accessing the area, officials report.

Regarding Cherry Grove and other low-lying areas of the city, officials say no major flooding has occurred, but because the storm is expected to hover over the area Saturday into Sunday, flooding is still a possibility.

Patrish, hope you have a safe trip back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 am 

Thanks, Bruce1 Glad things are ok so far. I am not a local but I sure appreciate hearing any news about the Surfside/Garden City area...many thanks and hoping the rains will not bring a lot of flooding. Our daughter lives near Raleigh,NC...she says they have had heavy rain and wind...but they are safe so far...only lost power for a while...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:23 pm 

Thanks for the update. Big miss by the "experts" which is a good thing. Just hope when a CAT 4 storm may actually come that people don't disregard the warning. Not sure how much a push for ratings plays into these week out forecasts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:59 pm 

"big miss"... while the NHC and the supporting forecasting tools did over-estimate Florence's wind intensity at landfall, they were amazingly accurate on the location and time of landfall (and probably accurate on the insane rainfall amounts). From one week out, they forecasted Florence would hit within 2 hrs of when it actually made landfall, and it was within 10 miles of the forecasted location.... Gotta give credit where it is due, particularly since this was an extremely difficult forecast due to the blocking high pressure. :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Kirk, are you headed home from FL?

We are leavig Venice, FL tomorrow and will spend a night somewhere along the way. Then home on Monday. We were fortunate that the damage was so much less than we feared.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Brucee, thanks for you input as a local who saw this through. It is interesting to see this from the viewpoint of a local who is familiar with their local surroundings. Thanks also for updating information rearding the NMB area. ,Please let us know if you're in the Market Common area. Would love to see you again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 am 

Careful all routes in may be flooded by then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:13 pm 

We flew into Savannah late Sat night, then drove up to Charleston. As soon as we crossed the state line into SC at 1am Sunday it started raining. Charleston dodged a big bullet and most businesses were open yesterday, with the rest today. We are in a flood zone, but no areas of high water noted. Still breezy (around 20mph), and it is crazy to see the amount of moisture laden clouds screaming towards the NNW to feed into the remains of Florence and drench the inland areas. Feel so sad for everyone in eastern NC affected by the flooding.

But thankful all our MB friends are safe and accounted for !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:04 am 

https://www.scdot.org/travel/travel-road.aspx Road closure map.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:58 am 
Site Admin

S.C. 22 to closed yesterday - at 6 p.m Thursday, Sept. 20 - Here’s how to get around

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/ ... 25800.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Friday 2:30pm - Updated River Forecast

1. Waccamaw at Longs - Cresting tonight or tomorrow at 21 feet then a slow fall.

2. Waccamaw at Conway - rise above Matthew level tonight or Saturday then crest between 21-22 feet (3-4 feet above Matthew) Tuesday or Wednesday.

3. ICW at Socastee - expected to crest at 22-24 feet (3-5 feet above Matthew) next Wednesday or Thursday.

4. Little Pee Dee at Galivants Ferry - cresting today then slowly falling through the weekend.

5. Great Pee Dee at Pee Dee - cresting today then falling through next week.

6. Lynches at Effingham - rising rapidly and expected to crest around 18 feet Saturday then fall quickly.

7. Lumber at Lumberton - A second crest of 24 feet expected Sunday then slowly falling. This crest will be a foot below the record set earlier this week of 25 feet.

8. Black Creek at Quinby - cresting now then falling through next week.

9. Black River at Kingstree - Expected to stay below flood stage.