Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Meal???
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm 

We are creatures of habit when it comes to where we eat in MB, but after many years of an opening lunch at River City we are ready to change up the opening meal. Just doesn't have the wow factor for me and honestly if it wasn't on the beach and in Surfside (where we stay) we would of changed it up long ago. Just not a big fan of it and never have been..

Here is what we are looking for. Must be pretty laid back place. We are coming straight out of the SUV after a 7.5 hour drive and will have been up since 3:30 a.m. Not going to be looking our best at all.. :chairfall: Would prefer not to spend $100 like we used to at Margaritaville when we opened up there for a couple of years. Looking for casual, fairly cheap, and preferably beach view just to kill an hour waiting on the room. Preferably south MB or Surfside/ Garden City area.

Post subject: Re: First Meal???
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Salt Water Creek Cafe
http://www.saltwatercreekcafe.com/
We've never had a bad meal, and we've eaten there for lunch, early bird, and dinner - as well as Thanksgiving and Easter. Note: NOT oceanfront.

Also - Conch Cafe in Garden City.
https://conchcafe.net/
Huge porch with ocean view

The PIT (Pawleys Island Tavern) A little hard to find. After you pass the Hammock shops on your left, you'll see the Island Shops on your right. IMMEDIATELY past the Island Shops, you'll see a green mailbox by the street. (You'll think it is another entrance to the Island Shops...it is THAT close. Take this right turn onto a dirt road to get to the Pit. Truly a local favorite because nobody else can find the place. Decorated inside with dollar bills all over the walls & ceiling . Outside dining with live music in the evenings. (Not oceanfront - not even NEAR) Great food and prices
https://pawleysislandtavern.com/

Welcome to the beach! :nanner:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 am 

When I was younger out first meal would always be at the NASCAR Café, then when they switched to the sports grille it went down hill and they closed a few years after. We usually have 2 first meals..

I usually get to MB a day or two before the rest of our group, I think the last 2 years we got Jersey Mike's. Our first dinner the last 2 years was River City at Barefoot Landing. I have to agree that it just doesn't do it for me either, we'll eliminate it this year for something neat.

When the rest of my family finally makes the trek down our first meal together is usually just pizza from somewhere...and BEER.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm 

Our first meal at the beach is usually Damon's on South Ocean Blvd next to the Crown Reef, they have a nice ocean view inside(ask for it)or on the deck.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 am 

budwash435 wrote:
When I was younger out first meal would always be at the NASCAR Café, then when they switched to the sports grille it went down hill and they closed a few years after. We usually have 2 first meals..

I usually get to MB a day or two before the rest of our group, I think the last 2 years we got Jersey Mike's. Our first dinner the last 2 years was River City at Barefoot Landing. I have to agree that it just doesn't do it for me either, we'll eliminate it this year for something neat.

When the rest of my family finally makes the trek down our first meal together is usually just pizza from somewhere...and BEER.

Lots of great suggestions from everyone. I've never been a huge fan of River City, but the views and the casual atmosphere just won out. I just personally don't like the food much at all and the other people we travel down with even mentioned that we need to find another spot. I wasn't disappointed when they made the suggestion. Looking forward to changing it up this year.

We usually just sit around the first evening and order Dominoes. We don't have one here at home and they make a pretty good pizza.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm 

Mako's inlet bar and grill sounds interesting. Check it out?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 pm 

We have a short drive on our second day so we get to town around noon and head to the Boardwalk. Our first meal is at Oceanfront Bar and Grill. Not for the food, but because we can bring the pups and also love this view. It's not in the area you prefer, but it's a great place to kill a couple of hours people watching while waiting for a room. Just love the feeling of sitting here knowing we've arrived and this will be our view for the week!

We usually take our guests who fly in to lunch at Damon's because it's close to the airport and our hotel and it has the wow factor.

I didn't know Mako's had an Inlet location also. We eat about 50% of our meals at Mako's Oceanfront Bar & Grill. It has a killer view too.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Heidi, thanks for posting the pictures! I know it's not so easy to do tho this message board, but it's true that pictures are often more important than words.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:30 pm 

For our past 4 trips, we've gone to Damons for a rib dinner.
We have always had good food and left fully stuffed.

Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album
Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:50 pm 

Thanks Hedi. Those pics are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:58 pm 

Heidi, I just googled Mako’s Oceanfront since we had never heard of it. According to a few websites, it is listed as “permanently closed.” First, is that true? And if not, where is it located? Misti and I are always up for trying new places.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 pm 

NOOOOO. We stay at Ocean Park Resort and would walk down to Mako's at least once a day with the pups. I don't know what we'll do now. I'm so sad. Can one of you buy that and open it before September, please?? :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:53 pm 

Makos at the Reef Resort is undergoing renovations. The murrels inlet location is new as of this month and will fulfill your desires until the original reopens.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 am 

When we stayed at the Caribbean frequently (30th Ave N, MB), the Sea Captains house was our first stop. While it can be pricey, their salads/burgers are very good and reasonable. Unfortunately if you are arriving on a Saturday, there can be a wait.....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm 

When driving down from PA...we are always tired when we arrive in MB. Our tradition is take out at Jimmyz!!! We also get lots of extra Jimmyz sauce to have in the Condo all week!! We have recently moved to Greenville, SC. So now we have a much shorter drive...but I still can't imagine going anywhere else on night one!! :wav: