Located at the confluence of the Cape Fear River and the Atlantic Ocean, Bald Head Island, North Carolina, is the southernmost barrier island in NC, accessible only by the 20 minute passenger ferry from Southport. (Or you can charter a private yacht.) Bald Head Island consists of beaches, dunes, creeks, tidal marshes. and a maritime forest.
Once on the island, golf carts and bicycles are the ony means of transportation. You'll find over 14 miles of ocean coastline, golfing, swimming, fishing, nature walks, several restaurants and a small grocery store.
A prominent landmark is the Bald Head Island Lighthouse, affectionately nicknamed "Old Baldy." It's one of North Carolina's most recognized lighthouses, and the oldest one standing along the North Carolina coast. When it began operation on December 5, 1794, the total bill for the project was $11,359.14, more than $7000 greater than the amount originally appropriated.
When Hurricane Fran struck the southern North Carolina coast on September 5, 1996, there were a few residents remaining on Bald Head Island. When wind speeds climbed past hurricane strength, many islanders fled heir houses and sought shelter inside the Bald Head Lighthouse which sustained minimal damage.
Standing 110 feet high and containing 108 steps, "Old Baldy" served as an active lighthouse until 1935 and as a radio beacon until 1958. It was used mostly to guide ships through the perilous Frying Pan Shoals. After the construction of the Oak Island Lighthouse in 1958, "Old Baldy" was decommissioned. It stillstands as a symbol of Bald Head Island and is open to the public.
In addition to many other amenities, Bald Head Island has a beautiful small chapel offering a services as well as playing host to many weddings. The Maritime Market grocery store offers a large selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and seafood, as well as beer, wine, bread and canned goods. This full-service supermarket also includes a deli, butcher shopand sandwich counter.
This island is home to one of the most beautiful beaches we've ever seen. The 173-acre maritime forest site is located in the central portion of Bald Head Island. Maritime forests are rare strips of forest that grow on the stabilized back dunes of the barrier islands. The thick undergrowth on Bald Head Island consists of wild olive, American and yaupon holly, and catbrier. “Timmons Oak” was named in honor of Dr. Bob Timmons for his passionate commitment to land preservation. The wooded area provides a habitat for squirrels, deer, fox, turtles, tree frogs, southern toads and many varieties of birds.
The Shoals Club opened the summer of 2004. The beach club offers a dining room, lounge, locker facilities, swimming pool, recreational programs and direct beach access.
Bald Head Island Club’s 18-hole championship golf course has been awarded 4.5 stars from Golf Digest’s Places to Play.
Please View Our Photo Gallery of Bald Head Island